Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnmcc
Recent bookmarks

e_joyner

Is there a general resource that explains the characteristics of different film developers? i.e. how it affects contrast, grain, etc... I'm a novice, and have very limited experience with developing. In fact, D-76 and TMax developers are the only 2 I've ever used! Convenience is a major factor, so I like to use things that are readily available to me. Any good books or internet resources??? Thanks in advance for any help, sorry if this is a stupid question.

~edye

ann

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Try Steve Ancell"s book Film Cookbook. Not 100% sure that is the full name. THere is the Darkroom Cookbook and then the one devoted to film. Am sure a search at Amazon will come up with the full title. Perhaps this will fit your description to a tee

OP
OP

e_joyner

Thank you for the info Ann. I have soooo many questions, I'm trying to pace myself on the number of 'stupid questions' I ask!

~edye

ann

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
There is never a time anyone has all the answers. Life is full of questions so don't ever stop asking.

Ole

Shooter
Large Format
There are no stupid questions, but some deserve stupid answers, and some get them undeservedly :wink:

I agree that "The Film Developing Cookbook" by Anchell & Troop is one of the best resources. It is more geared towards the "home chemists" like myself, but for a readable discussion of the properties of different developers I've found none better.
There's a little bit of it in Ansel Adams' "The Negative", but it leaves me with a niggling doubt whether he really knew what he was talking about. But there are examples there, which there aren't in Anchell&Troop.

There's also a lot of information right here on APUG, but much of it is hidden deep in the discussions.

You have but to ask :smile:

Black Dog

Shooter
Multi Format
Ag magazine is very good-any articles by Michael Maunder or Barry Thornton v useful. Also The Darkroom Cookbook by Steve Anchell and Edge of Darkness by Barry Thornton (great pics too).

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom