Decent scanner for 35mm only?

Discussion in 'Scanning and Scanners' started by ColdEye, May 15, 2018.

1. ColdEye

ColdEye Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I need a decent 35mm scanner. Used to have a pakon but that went kaput. I miss the automated film feed of that. Is there anything similar? I know that might be a stretch. Plus hopefully it's below $400.

2. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    New scanner I don't know. I have a Konica Minolta Dimage Dual Scan IV and it's decent but not scan long strip. I think the Kodak RFS-3600 would do that.

3. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
  4. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have you tried to find out what was kaput? Maybe you can find parts?

I think you can batch scan entire APS cartridges, I have the adapter but never tried it heh Too bad APS went the way of the dodo.

5. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Get used to review pictures on light table or with loope and get brand new Plustek for well under 400. BH has them on sale periodically.

6. OP
    OP
    ColdEye

ColdEye Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Used is definitely an option, I just don't know which ones to look for. Even if I could just put a strip of 6 and it auto scans that that would be perfect.

The film would be fed into the scanner but it wouldn't scan anything. Already sold it for parts a while ago.

7. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Personally, I’m satisfied with my Konica-Minolta DiMage IV ( the III is as good, 2820dpi instead of 3200). I load a strip of 6 and batch scan, the time varies depending of the settings (multisempling consume time).

8. OP
    OP
    ColdEye

ColdEye Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any recommendations on what model?

9. dourbalistar

dourbalistar Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Do you already own a digital camera? Are you willing to source some parts? If so, I recommend a copy stand, macro or enlarging lens, a light table, and a Beseler Negatrans. The Negatrans will let you feed strips of 35mm film, just turn a dial to advance to the next frame and shoot. Not Pakon fast, but way faster than waiting for a flatbed scanner. Even with all the parts, I think the quality will be much higher than any scanner you can get within a $400 budget. Plus, the next time you upgrade the digital camera you already use, you might even increase your scanning image quality.

I use a Leica BEOON, but this post was helpful for me when I put together my digital camera scanning rig: http://lamlux.net/2016/02/23/digitizing-negatives-with-a-digital-camera/. Examples of scans from my setup are tagged "Leica BEOON" on my Flickr, so you can judge for yourself whether the IQ is sufficient for your needs.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  10. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have latest one. I forgot 8600i I think. Here is overpriced i and less crappy load of same crappy software for same i model. I use vuescan instead and it does better job without hastle. This scanner is small and quiet, I think they are using led light, power supply is very small and never gets hot. I have first 7200 one as well and it is big difference. And it is fast on 2400, 3200 resolution.

11. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you OP wants automated feed, Plustek won't do that. At least my 8200i did not. I replaced it with a Nikon 8000 Coolscan which does 12-up. Not new. Required work which I secured from Frank Phillips (advertises on eBay and lives in nearby Takoma Park) with great satisfaction. Frank does nice work and installed a servo-satisfying brass door and hinge. Cost ran roughly $800 plus Frank's services.. and worth every penny. There has been a surprising infrastructure built around keeping these things in operation for lack of a better replacement. As Frank says, "You'd think something new and better would be out, but...??? here we are." There are folks who even make re-programmed chips out there. No longer rocket science. But there are some quirky things in the Nikon design.... cheap plastic front and front door with its connected servo for one. For two, the motor and stepper grind and grind loud enough to wake the dead... so that you're left wondering how much life can be left in these old things. But there seems to be plenty. Aside from the cheesy plastic front, the thing is built like a tank.

New... I think an Epson V800 might have automated routines for scanning multiple shots while you walk the dog. Dunno. Maybe someone with experience could speak to that.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  12. pchaps

pchaps Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    +1 for Nikon Coolscan

13. Fin

Fin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And another +1. I bought a Coolscan IV-ED last year and get good scans from it. I did have to clean the mirror and lens, but this isn't that hard to do with a bit of Googlising.

14. Alan9940

Alan9940 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been very happy with a Minolta Scan Elite 5400 II that I've own for many years, but I don't know if it can do batch scanning. I typically pick one or two shots out of a 36 roll to scan for printing.

15. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the version 1 one for my 35mm film and its the best for B&W that I have used out of any scanner. Very high and true resolution as well.

It does not do batch scanning, the holders can hold 6 frames or 5 frames slide mounted

16. _Manu_

_Manu_ Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  17. ewbank1

ewbank1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Pacific Image Prime Film XA is a decent scanner that is around $400 and will do a whole strip of 35mm. I find it more convenient and slightly better scans than an Epson 750.