Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by CMoore, Apr 11, 2018.

1. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am taking a Photo Class at my local college. The previous head of the photo department just retired after many years. The new department head, my teacher, is going through a few decades of stuff that Mr XYZ had left behind.
    Included in that "collection" was about 15 issues of 'Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques'. They all seem to be from circa 1985.
    Apparently they were a "small" publication.....about 60 pages.?
    But i am finding them Very Interesting. Like with all Film Photo Mags of this age, a lot of it is Obsolete and No Longer available, but it is still fascinating. Of course a lot of it is still relevant in one way or another.
    Anyway, just skimming through these issues is a lot of fun. That is one great thing about being a beginner. I can look at a Modern Photo Mag from 1977, and it will All/Most be new and exciting to me. :smile:

Any of you Guys/Gals remember this publication...did you like it.?

2. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques! I sure do remember that magazine. As I remember, towards the last, they tried to cater to film photographers and digital photographers and did not satisfy either. Before that it was one of the "go to" magazines for all of us, especially those of us with darkrooms. Some of the regular contributors read like a "Whose Who" of photography at that time. I still miss the older issues......Regards!

3. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That was a great magazine. It later changed its name to Photo Techniques and it went under a few yrs ago.

Near the end it began running a lot of digital articles that were not very good, and the quality of the film articles declined, too. Mike Johnson of The Online Photographer was the editor of the magazine for many years. I think its decline happened after he left. It used to be a very technical magazine, with deep articles unlike the shallow crap most photo mags published.

4. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it was a wannabe in many ways. the real leader in that space was Darkroom Photography, which later changed it's name to Camera and Darkroom.

5. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Mike Johnston (with a "t") was editor from late 1994 to late 2000. The magazine changed its name to "Photo Techniques" in 1996, and then again to just "Photo Technique" without an "s" near the very end, long after Mike had left. I wrote a few pieces for the magazine during Mike's tenure.

There was lots of good stuff in the magazine in those days. The many pieces by David Vestal stand out in my recollection, as well as some superb technical articles by Phil Davis of BTZS fame. I think the biggest enduring impact was probably from the special feature on bokeh, in the May-June 1997 issue, which introduced the term to American readers.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  6. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Camera and Darkroom died in 1995, just as Mike was getting up to speed at Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques. Mike had actually written a number of articles for C&D before assuming the editorship at D&CCT.

7. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    They used to be sold at camera shops; I treasure my bunch. Another GREAT one--American Photographer, the early ones before they sold out and became American Photo.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.