Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnmcc
Recent bookmarks

veriwide

Shooter
Med. Format Pan
I am moving in a week or so, and will be on a septic system for the first time. What are the do's and don't of disposal with it, and more specifically with darkroom waste. I do have a silver recovery system, but I am worried about spent developer, both film, and paper.

Patrick

brimc76

Shooter
Multi Format
Patrick, I have been using my darkroom out here in the country for 10 years now without any problems to the septic system. I was told by a Kodak rep that a normal septic system will handle 25% of it's total volume in darkroom waste without problems. I do watch that I am not putting anything exotic into it (I don't do Pyro at home), and I do not put any fix into the septic. I have a place locally that will accept small amounts of fix from home darkrooms for proper disposal.
Most developers are fairly dilute when used, and I will sometimes put a bit of stop into it before washing it down the drain. There are probably worse items under your kitchen sink or in the bathroom (cleaners) that will end up down the drain.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom