Cyanotypes on view at Simmons College

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by SuzanneR, Apr 16, 2018.

1. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I didn't care for the photos in the "Helping Hands" series at all. In fact, they were so bad, they made me angry. The "stranger participation" thing is so old and tired. The photograms lacked any aesthetic appeal or deep inner meaning. Maybe there's something I'm not getting there, but to me, it stunk of amateur phoning it in at the last minute.

On the other hand, I thought the "Anonymous" series was wildly imaginative and refreshing! I found them both simultaneously aesthetically pleasing and intellectually intriguing. Her playfulness with time, scale, perspective, dimension, medium, color, and technique serve as breadcrumbs leading into her imagined world ripe with curiosity and longing. Her subjects are like fairies playing the role of gate keepers to a tantalizing new world contained deep within our own, only accessible to the most imaginative and withdrawn among us.

It's odd to see two series made by the same artist, created around the same time, draw out such diametrically opposed responses from me. But it happened.

3. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Kim nice review. .always speak the truth about what you feel

4. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks suzanne for not posting the images from the website without consent
    "Posts on Lenscratch may not be reproduced without the permission of the Lenscratch staff and the photographer."
    ( clearly written on the webpage )
    ill have to head up to MA soon, thankfully simmons isn't getting taken over buy um ..

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  6. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Susanne for letting everybody see the entire story, photos and all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.