Custom Bellows UK contact/website difficulties?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MNaPh, Nov 30, 2018.

1. MNaPh

MNaPh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was just about to send a bellows from my Century Universal 8x10 to Custom Bellows at the beginning of the week but I had a quick question that I thought I could answer by looking on their site. The site was down and I thought it might just be down for overnight maintenance but it has been down for the entire week. I sent an email to let them know about the site service interruption but never received a reply. I've also called twice at the end of the week (verifying that I was calling during their operating hours) but both times I went to a generic voicemail that didn't even mention the name of the company.

I'm hoping that someone from the UK might be able to shed a little light on this situation. I definitely don't want to ship my bellows until I can verify that this is all just a glitch and that they are still in business.

MIchael

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They made bellows for me this summer, if that helps.

Cheers,
    Jason

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They made some bellows quite recently for one of my friends, I'd try giving Keith a call,

Ian

5. OP
    OP
    MNaPh

MNaPh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Thanks AgX, it does still seem to be a bit of a mystery. I found the threads you linked to but since they were a few years out of date I thought I would start a new one. I had email correspondence with them 3 weeks ago but now that they have gone dark for a week I supposed I am left with only questions until/unless I can get in touch with them.

6. OP
    OP
    MNaPh

MNaPh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ian, I'm assuming that Keith is the owner. Do you know if he would have a different number than the one listed in their general Google info? I tried that number twice but I was only able to reach a generic voicemail.

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keith Lowe is the owner of Custom Bellows, the registration of the website lapsed on the 19th November. These days it's a small business not like when his family made over 1 million sets of bellows for Kodak, let alone their other large customers.

Ian

8. OP
    OP
    MNaPh

MNaPh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ian,

That does help clear up some of the mystery. I know they're a small family operation these days. I really wish I could throw more business their way when Keith decides to leave the business the options for professionally made bellows will be drastically reduced. I took a tragic turn at a small bellows myself awhile back and 'tragic' is the best adjective I have for my attempt.

Michael

9. fatso

fatso Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not out of business, must be a problem with the website. I just had an order shipped a few days ago from them.

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Website is up and running again.

Ian

11. choiliefan

choiliefan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's good news.

12. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unable to contact a small family business over the holidays? I don't know if that is a cause for concern. I do wish you good luck and keep us posted.

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Concerning holidays you seem better informed than me or the OP.

If you refer to Thanksgiving in late November, that is a US thing.
    Not celebrated in the UK, not even heard of in Germany...

Though I admit that lacking reply from a seemingly small business within a week, as such should not be reason to be bothered. I made quite some reasoned inquiries at major manufacturers I never ever got response to.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  14. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did not specify a holiday, but I counted a half dozen on the UK calendar I consulted. The season or holidays (lower case) are a time for family get togethers, etc. A small delay in a reply might be expected.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.