Covering the back of metal frames

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by adelorenzo, Mar 29, 2018.

1. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm framing some pieces with black aluminum frames and I'm wondering what is normally done to cover the back.
    Typically with a wood frame they get covered with brown paper but I don't know if it would stick well to the metal frame.

2. fdi

fdi Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm
    Metal frames are not commonly covered with paper for a dust cover. The spring clips should be compressing the foamcore or other backing against the glass tight enough to prevent dust from coming into the frame package.

3. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't use the spring clips. A sandwich of mat board, mount board, and foam core that completely fills their groove does the job better than the spring clips.

4. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

5. fdi

fdi Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm
    In that case, you might just use some frame sealing tape to finish off the edges and provide a dust barrier. The tape is normally used to protect the print from a wood frame, but will work for this as well.
    https://www.framedestination.com/fr...sue/self-adhesive-frame-sealing-tape-372.html
    Good that you leave the clips out. Too much pressure can cause issues over the long run.

6. OP
    OP
    adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I won't worry about sealing the back as I do use the spring clips.

I do like Jim's suggestion. Maybe a peice of black foamcore in the back to give a more finished look.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.