Court decides online photos fair use (game)

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by MartinCrabtree, Jul 5, 2018.

1. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don’t think that is the court’s first bad copyright decision. If the plaintiff has any funds left for his attorney, hopefully the decisions will be appealed and hopefully he gets a better attorney. He entirely abandoned his second complaint which, IMO, had a stronger argument.

I can’t understand why he felt the need to sue after the company complied with his wishes, other than money. Lawsuits run the risk of creating bad precedent, especially if you don’t do your homework on the court in which your case will be heard.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    While I do not agree with the logic and legal reasons for the decision, I continue to stand firm in not posting my photographs anywhere on the internet. I got burned once and I would rather be safe than sorry.

4. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Sirius Glass, no matter what the law says keeping people from stealing images is a task that I just to time to police.

5. OP
    OP
    MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah I do as well. Doesn't change the fact this is a bad decision.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Over here we do not have that legal construct of fair use. Seemingly in cases we are lucky by that.

7. ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Taken on the whole, copyrights and patents are bad for humanity, and just apply another avenue of capital hording and oppression.

8. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If, as an inventor, all you had to look forward to as a result of your hard work and effort were for the fruits of your labor to be seized and distributed to the masses -- and you knew that would happen -- then you would have no incentive to invent anything at all. How does that benefit humanity? Patents are not forever: 15 years give the inventor enough time to benefit from his/her own hard work and creativity before the invention is available to all. This balances the needs of the whole against the needs of the one. If it weren't for the protection of a patent, then individual creativity is oppressed entirely. Patent law has been a very fundamental and extremely important component of the technological advances of the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries.

Copyright law serves a similar role for artistic endeavors, by providing artists with the means to earn talent-based income which supports their continual artistic exploration.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  9. ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Part of the problem with debating the question is that we have all lived our lives in the age of patents. Therefore, hard to even imagine the world otherwise. Whereas people suggest no one would have the desire to invent things, we actually do have the wheel, the lever, writing, movable type, and control of fire, to name some obvious inventions that occurred without patent law.

My argument is complicated further that we are not just born in the patent era, but we are also born in the era when the "object of humanity" has been distorted into being economic entities. As such, it comes natural to assume that the foundation of life is economic.

There of course was a decent argument for patents and copyright. But, like all economic laws, it is quickly perverted, distorted and used as a lever for the purpose of moving capital upwards into vast piles that can't be accessed by humanity as a whole. Warner Brothers owns the copyright to "Happy Birthday" and charges rather large fees for it's commercial use. The copyright was extended to 95 years.

IP laws (copyright and patents) now control the simple human endeavor of "entertainment." I find that to be so ridiculous as to not need much explanation. But, in case it does, as every human interest and endeavor enters into economic contracts, freedom of expression dies a little bit. Until we have this atomized population sitting in front of screens watching an illusory image and entertainment world for which they MUST WORK MANY HOURS to pay for.

Currently, patents are being used in medicine to bankrupt the population. A rather clear abuse of the intent. The entire IP system is clogging courts, costing humanity valuable equity in the world they inhabit, and creating ever more hording of capital.

It's pretty hard to argue that the song "Happy Birthday" is more important to humanity that the "wheel".

10. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like it boils down to whether you are an optimist or pessimist ... i.e. a reflection of your own world-view.

The world needs more optimists.

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    were the photographs in question even copyrighted ( registered at the copyright office )?
    he should have emailed them and had them put a by line on the work so he at least got credit for the image.

grab and go is the way of the world .. oh well.
    it probably is more important than the wheel
    IDK
    i am related to or know of people who invented things or are connected to people who invented things that are used every day on every corner of the globe.
    and some of them had their ideas taken from them and others took credit for it
    and others were working for someone who reeped the benefits of their work. that's the way of the world ..
    would it have been the same thing if there were no patents? uh huh, people with
    money and power pretty much do what they want whether there are patents or copyrights.
    i had a large company grab images that were mine and copyrighted and publish them without consent and i got didly swat .. should have asked for a by line ..

SSDD

==

nodda the glass is 1/2 full !

12. ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, 'power' is normally abusive, no argument there.

The worst feature of IP laws - as practiced in this world - is that they greatly enhance the power to lockup capital into ever larger piles, for ever longer time periods. It enhances the rentier economy. The shortage of available capital is directly related to the amount and depth of human misery.

13. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1/2 full !

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    More than 1/2 full jnanian... it runneth over.

Edit: ...sometimes we knock it over and shatter the glass on the floor. Fortunately, it's easy enough to fill a new glass when that happens.

16. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yeah, but is the 2nd cup half full ? :wink:

17. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    ( I was editing while you were typing :smile:
    And do you need lots of rags or paper towels to clean up that running over mess?

18. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nedL, i use a chinettte plastic cup™ and SHAMMMmmMMMmmmMMWOWWWwwWW™
    no shattered glass or paper in the clean up. :D

19. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Some people just will not clean up after themselves.

20. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is some truth in it. But who, in a capitalistic society, then pays a living for the inventor, who spent time and money on his invention. The same goes for authors, composers etc.

21. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah...penny ante stuff. Does anyone ever confuse Ansel Adams or Diane Arbus claiming their pix are stolen online by low res images?

Ever see the famous photogs low res digital images watermarked?

Signed prints are where the action is, not low res digital images. C'mon, they are nothing.

22. ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    People get paid for all sorts of work. Why does someone need a government granted monopoly to make a living? Who paid Gutenberg? Who paid Fred Flintstone for inventing the wheel?

The problem here is we are so deep into all this copyright law that we can't even imagine how it would be different.

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gutenberg is likely a bad examole.

He started even a venture capital fund to get a technology business started. Later he failed to pay back credits and was brought to court.
    Also I doubt he payed his authors.

At the end of his life he got subsidized by a clergyman.

24. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problem here is you are advocating theft of the creative work and intellectual property of others.

It is very easy to imagine a world unprotected by copyright. There are plenty of examples in history of artists and inventors leading miserable lives and dying alone in abject poverty because they were not protected by copyright law or had their intellectual property stolen from them and making the thieves rich.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20286_6-inventors-who-changed-world-got-screwed-in-return.html

25. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i know of someone whose work was stolen by the head of a country because they liked it/ the person
    who wrote it didn't get credit for it at all.
    is that really fair ?

26. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The rest of us can imagine it. You are the one without imagination and hence cannot.