Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coolhead62
Recent bookmarks

mark

There were no bites on APUG for this question, maybe here

I have been doing a lot of reading lately about Carbon and was thinking about maybe trying it. But I have a few questions

Re: Squeegeeing the tissue

Is the tissue on a substrate to be strong enough to withstand being squeegeed or is the tissue strong enough on its own?

Bostic and Sullivan ready made tissue:
Is this an easy way to start?

Yes I plan on doing this with digital negs. One step at a time though.

sanking

Format
Large Format

I have been doing a lot of reading lately about Carbon and was thinking about maybe trying it. But I have a few questions

Is the tissue on a substrate to be strong enough to withstand being squeegeed or is the tissue strong enough on its own?

Carbon tissue is something of a misnomer. It is actually a layer of pigmented gelatin on a fairly thick paper or plastic base. It should be able to withstand considerable pressure in squeegeing.

B&S tissue is definitely a good place to start. You may at some point want to learn to make your own tissue, but I would suggest staying with the manufactured material during the early learning phase.

Sandy King

donbga

Format
Large Format Pan

The substrate is plenty strong when a modern material like mylar or melinex is used.

The B&S tissue us a very easy way to learn the fundementals of carbon printing. Join the B&S carbon forum and Yak it up with those guys. They will be extremely helpful and enjoy answering questions. There are several good carbon printers who hang their hat there.

If possible intially start with in camera negatives, once you learn the process learn how to make digi negs with cheap processes like VDB and cyanotype and graduate to carbon.

I'm not a carbon printer but I have tried the B&S tissue. Carbon printing is something I keep meaning to back to. The process is fairly easy to learn but consistency can be more difficult.

Don

OP
OP

mark

Thanks folks. Between you and vaughn on APUG it is clearing up.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom