Threads
Members
Latest member
coralluxurycleaning
Recent bookmarks

redbandit

Shooter
35mm
If you manage to pull off some prints and photographs that are better then those being sold for 4-6,000 online, does one self celebrate and keep going

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
Keep going where? Sell them, make some money, and then make more that are just as good. It’s not a real story of “making a better print” unless there’s money to go with where the mouth is. :smile:

OP
OP

redbandit

Shooter
35mm
Keep going where? Sell them, make some money, and then make more that are just as good. It’s not a real story of “making a better print” unless there’s money to go with where the mouth is. :smile:

Who says its about money? If i can take a photo thats better then most of what i see on Magnums store front... do i be the idiotic fanboy and consider myself to be trash because im not "credentialed" like them...

Or do i kick back and enjoy the fact?

rcphoto

Shooter
Medium Format
I'm glad you've sorted out which side is up on your paper and have made great strides in printing. Good luck to you in the new year.

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
Who says its about money? If i can take a photo thats better then most of what i see on Magnums store front... do i be the idiotic fanboy and consider myself to be trash because im not "credentialed" like them...

Or do i kick back and enjoy the fact?

Yep… pat yourself on thee back, or head, or bottom… whichever you prefer. You did good, I hear. Credentials are over-rated; performance is what really counts. A positive self-image is good too. Congratulations; enjoy the fact and associated good feelings. :smile:

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I don't see any relationship between sales and quality of work. None, zero. But that's just me, everyone looks at that differently. Keep in mind that Vincent Van Gogh couldn't sell any of his paintings during his lifetime, even though his brother Theo was an art dealer. Other artists knew he was a great artist, but no one wanted to buy anything from him. It's not any different w/ any other art form, photography or otherwise.

Becoming dead helps though. That seems to work pretty well. Gives us all something to shoot for.

OP
OP

redbandit

Shooter
35mm
I'm glad you've sorted out which side is up on your paper and have made great strides in printing. Good luck to you in the new year.

that ink press multi tone doesnt really seem to care what side you use... just open up the lens a little bit, and use 3-5 seconds, and your not really going to notice a difference on what side is up, other then the reveresed image.

For some reason I seem to do my best photographs with trees, birds, and trees next to water. A simple bracketing does help.

Mike Lopez

Shooter
Multi Format
I don't see any relationship between sales and quality of work. None, zero. But that's just me, everyone looks at that differently. Keep in mind that Vincent Van Gogh couldn't sell any of his paintings during his lifetime, even though his brother Theo was an art dealer. Other artists knew he was a great artist, but no one wanted to buy anything from him. It's not any different w/ any other art form, photography or otherwise.

Becoming dead helps though. That seems to work pretty well. Gives us all something to shoot for.
“People always clap for the wrong things.”

—Holden Caulfield

BMbikerider

Shooter
35mm
) doubt it very much if I will ever produce a single print that will appeal to everyone and make me a millionaire over night. I know what I like, or dislike and base my reproductions of that produced by other more capable photographers and using the various techniques learned since 1963 when I started taking photography seriously. I am in the main a darkroom user so my work will be difficult to reproduce time and time again to be identical

As far as I am aware have never plagiarised anyone else's work. I like the work of Ansell Adams, and a good few others from the distant past including some of the intrepid war photographers and natural history photographers who against all odds sometimes manage produced a work that is strangely ruggedly beautiful.

I keep no personal standards to compare against, but I strive to do what I can without the intervention of outside influences, only using my eyes and sense of what looks right, probably is not far off the mark. (For me anyway!)

Last edited:
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom