Threads
Members
Latest member
photomancottrell
Recent bookmarks

msbarnes

Shooter
Multi Format
I believe that the M3 doesn't focus closer than 1m.

I'm thinking of getting a lens (like the Zeiss 50/2 Planar or a later 50/2 Summicron) so that I can focus down to 0.7m (or anything closer than 1m without goggles).

-It is true that the M3 (unmodified) doesn't focus closer than 1m, right?
-If this is true, then how much does it cost to modify the body so that it focuses closer than 1m? I think I read that it is an easy mod, a while ago.

Thanks

Xmas

Shooter
35mm RF
There were production variations with M3 rangefinders some are easy to modify for 0.7m some less so.

If it is in good original condition may be cheaper to buy and sell. Otherwise get a quote first.

Just cause you have a modern lens is not a reason to modify unless you need 0.7 if you need 0.7 you should not be using a rfdr?

Some of the early lenses went below 0.7...

jochen

Shooter
35mm
Hello,
the first lenses that were supplied when the M 3 was on the market, could only be focussed down to 1 m. When the M 2 came, the focussing range went down to 0.7 m. A lens with 0.7 m range can be focussed down to 0.7 m on the M 3 but the rangefinder stops a 1 m.

Shooter
35mm RF
I have a M3 that is over 1mil and I bent the stop arm to get it to focus close. I think it may even get closer than .7m. There is probably a tutorial somewhere on the net, or take it to anyone who is capable. It should only take them a couple of minutes.

mnemosyne

Shooter
Multi Format
What is the story with the Summicron Dual Range 50mm? Does that solve the issue?

Yes, with the viewfinder attachment mounted it will allow you to focus down to around 0.5 m on the M3. The viewfinder attachment will also correct for parallax.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom