cleaning a delta sink

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by weasel, Dec 17, 2017.

1. weasel

weasel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Been slowly building a darkroom. My brother in law gave me a delta darkroom sink that he had for some reason in is garage. Very cool, will save me time to build one. The sink is badly stained- any insight in how to clean it? Can they be painted?

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's it made of? Steel or plastic(ABS)

3. OP
    OP
    weasel

weasel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    plastic

4. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Will it create a problem.?
    If it does not rinse off with water.....Are you worried about a Darkroom Sink being......"Stained/Dirty".?

5. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I guess it would depend on what chemicals stained it. Some chemicals clean up easier than others. Plastic is porous. If the staining is bad enough, you'd likely have to sand it down to get rid of the stains, and that might cause even more issues. I wouldn't think that would be worth the hassle, especially since you'll likely stain it yourself as you use it.

My advice: just don't look at the sink while the lights are on.

6. Doremus Scudder

Doremus Scudder Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Some stains just won't come out. I had fairly good luck cleaning the Delta sink I used to have with Comet cleanser and a bit of chlorine bleach. If that doesn't do the trick, then it may be better to just live with it.

If the cosmetics disturb you, you could look into painting it with a good chemical-resistant spray paint that is designed for plastic/fiberglass. That will likely stain too, but you'll be starting from scratch.

Best,

Doremus

7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With Plastic, what the others said. In the long run it won't matter unless it disturbs your finer sensibilities. It would make me
    and my OCD leanings bad dreams.

8. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1

9. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Way back when, I recall there was a tray cleaner recipe in one of the Kodak books. It was an acid dichromate solution much like the reversal bleach which likely means it strikes terror in the hearts of folks today. I suppose there is also the possibility it might not work, depending on exactly what the stains are from.

10. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Plug the drain, fill with water, dump in a box of denture cleaning tablets, let it stand over night. Drain out and rinse. Whatever stain is left, live with it.

11. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What, are you the type that wanted a new sink so you could make your own marks? Sounds like the price was right, and no, most paints will not stick unless you do a ton of prep work, and any paint you use, if you go that route, will be less durable and stain more readily than the original plastic. As for the tray cleaners, they will turn silver "stains" back into silver haloids, which you can then fix or bleach to remove (BE DARN CAREFUL TO FLUSH THE SINK WITH ABOUT A MILLION GALLONS OF WATER AFTER YOU CLEAN THE SINK AND BEFORE YOU BLEACH IT), if it is "tar" from color processes rather than silver stains, Lysol toilet bowl cleaner might get most of it off. I never bothered with my old sink. My new sink is stainless steel and shines up right purdy.

12. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wonder if that stuff will work on rubber.
    I have a herd time keeping the tires on my car clean.:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.