Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad
Recent bookmarks

photomem

Shooter
Medium Format
I have a Canon AE-1 (Identical to the one I had when I was a teenager, plus its a pretty damned good camera.) There are no problems with it yet, but I thought that since I bought it at an antique store and have used it for over two years without doing well.. much of anything, that I might give it a well deserved CLA.

Any suggestions as to someone who is well versed with these cameras?

Mike Pieper

Shooter
Multi Format
I've come across this guy's site a few times in my recent searches: http://www.slr35.com/

I have an old AE-1, but I've never used his services. I basically needed my light seals and foam mirror damper replaced and I did that myself by buying a $10 kit off ebay

elekm

Shooter
35mm RF
There are a lot of electronics in the AE-1, so if the electronics go, it's time for the camera to take a one-way trip to the local landfill. Either that, or it spends the rest of its days on a shelf or in the back of a closet.

Canon made a ton of these, so I wouldn't spend much (or any) money trying to repair it. I would simply buy another.

OP
OP

photomem

Shooter
Medium Format
I would consider the chuck and replace method, but I have this tendency to repair instead of replace. Plus, I like all the dents and scratches I have put on this one.

2F/2F

Shooter
Multi Format
My suggestion: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

When it breaks, think long and hard about fixing it.

Buy other ones along the way when they turn up cheap. Then you have identical cameras, or a parts source should you want to repair the more sentimental body. Seriously...I got two AE-1Ps with 50mm lenses for $45 once. They worked perfectly, and the lenses and bodies were in nice shape.

For now, keep shooting with it and do not sweat it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaplain Jeff

Shooter
35mm RF
Hello,

If it has sentimental value, the guys at ACR in Abilene, Texas can make it like new again: inner parts and all if needed - but oftentimes for about what you'd pay for two more similar cameras on ebay.

They've got parts to CLA / repair pretty much anything from that era. I recommend them if that's your goal. If you just want a working camera without spending much, they're not your folks.

Here's their website:
http://abilenecamera.com/

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom