Cinestill 800t in daylight - 39mm filter issues !!

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Brian M Harris, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Brian M Harris

Brian M Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I use Cinestill 800t a fair on medium format and loving it, I use 85b/85c filter for day light and naked at night.

I am going too Malta (very sunny climate) soon and going to take my Leica M3 with a Summicron 50mm f2 lens (39mm filter). I want to shoot some Cinestill 800t out there as well, as the night lights are great, but wanted to get some daylight shots on 800t as well. My problem is 39mm Orange 85b/85c tungsten corrected filters do not seem to available in 39mm.

I am big advocate of getting it right “in camera” and finishing via the scanning software (Silverfast SE & or photoshop).

My question is (1) for daylight shots should I go for a standard orange black & white filter and correct in Silverfast SE & or photoshop or (2) Leave the filter altogether and correct in Silverfast SE & or photoshop.

I know I am probably over thinking this, I will do some test shots before I go anyway but was wondering if anyone had any advice on this.

I have asked Cinestill the same question.

Thanks

Brian

2. bdial

bdial Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&H shows a Heliopan 85B in that size, so it may be a matter of getting your favorite retailer to order it. The Heliopan number is 703919.
    Another solution might be to get something that's close and use an adaptor ring.

Somewhere, a long time back, I read a detailed article on why correcting in post isn't a good solution, because the relationship between colors is off. But I don't remember the details, nor where I saw it.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least in the analog world density that you did not get on film due to a film mismatch and not using the appropriate correction filter you will not get back later.

Concerning Heliopan,. even with their cancellation of quite some filter types they still have quite a range. And they got a catalog (in form of a pricelist) on their site. It is worth having a look at it first in such issues.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.