Cindy Sherman

Discussion in 'Portraiture' started by Arthurwg, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Alan Edward Klein

Alan Edward Klein Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I found the filter on my camera too. Now I'm waiting for the NY Times to call me too.
    20180626_155404.jpg

2. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I never do. You are correct. Sherman's ability to bring out such strong feelings from such as the OP's, shows how important and strong of an artist she is. The work reached him and pulled a reaction out of him. What more can an artist ask?!

3. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Lovely lol. Are you available for adoption?

4. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    they might because of your obvious commentary on william wegman at the same time..

6. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You could say the same thing about a picture of someone taking a crap.

I don't place Sherman's work in that category at all, but more than strong reaction has to enter into any measure of strength or importance. I find Alan's parody to have as much strength, value and importance as this series of her work, while illustrating its absurdity.

7. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Not at all. Someone paints up their face in a not beautiful way, and that is somehow equal to photographing someone taking a crap? Do people find Holloween so disgusting. also? Something about her work really seems to disturbs men in particular. Perhaps it is feeding off men's tendency to value only beautiful women -- exposing that sexism?

There is nothing inherently disgusting about Sherman's images. It all comes from the viewer.

8. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    plus one

9. trendland

trendland Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Yeah - I see you worked hart to higher reputation. But now the bad news : NY Times will obviously not call you. What about Washington Post ? May be Washington Post is a possible alternate. By the time :
    Isn't both the same? Is there indeed a difference remaining between - today? Within the 70th both were great media - but today?

With regards:smile:

PS : In case of doubts : There is also "Washington D.C. Observer" they will call you for sure.
    A last tip : When you got the call from them answer : I am busy at the time but give me your number pls. I'll call you back - but within the next 3 weeks there will be no time for homestorys sorry about"
    So .....Bon Chance

10. trendland

trendland Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok - no problem .....by the way "Mapplethorpe" is a bit far away from my normal vocabulary like Hollidays inside an amish People Family......(with horsewaggon a.s.o.)

with regards

PS : Nothing to say against A.People but not realy normal for holidays there.

11. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Why didn't you quote my very next sentence which said I was NOT equating Sherman's work with a picture of someone taking a crap? I merely said that your statement that getting a reaction shows the strength of her work could apply to a picture of someone taking a crap.

I didn't find it disgusting, I found it weird and a little unsettling. I also didnt say and wouldn't say that it wasnt art. But I do think Alan's picture was equally important art, even though he probably didnt intend it to be, because it points out that Sherman's artin this particular series is rather absurd.

12. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree, Vaughn. Been a Sherman fan for a long time. I think any discomfort by the viewer comes from realising Cindy knows them perhaps a little too well!

13. blockend

blockend Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Agreed. Cindy Sherman is a performance artist who uses photography to record her creations. In addition to being highly creative, she benefits from the kind of blank canvas face on which to believably imagine pop cultural icons. I find her stuff witty and sharply drawn.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never been a fan of Cindy Sherman, but I do respect her as an artist because her work challenges the viewer. Art reflects life which isn't always pleasant. Hopefully, we can look at her work and turn back to our reality to see a view that moves us forward. My take of her work is that Instagram stars are too perfect and too staged. Instagram posters her hyper-perfect while her selfies are pictures of that are people have deep and grotesque physical flaws.

16. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So funny because when she first came out I hated her work...totally missed the whole point
    Next time I have such a strong reaction to art I'm buying it.(her work sells in high $$)..and Vaughn is correct..if you get a reaction; you as an artist have succeeded

17. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. But I hope Ms. Sherman's work isn't driven by a financial incentive. To me, her work isn't driven by money and it's culturally relevant. Banksy isn't driven by money.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...y/news-story/38a3a03793de86e473f2cbc757ab652f

18. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You equated an image of a non-beautiful women as generating the same type of disgust as looking as an image of someone taking a dump. That is why I did not bother quoting further -- nothing you said after pertains. to this particular comment. One is rooted in sexism, the other rooted in 40,000's of years of human death due to fecal contamination. There is a difference. The cause of disgust is as important as the disgust itself.

And I very much disagree with your comment on Alans' image -- sorry, Alan. Decent attempt at satire, though.

19. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Read what I wrote again.

Vaughn said: Sherman's ability to bring out such strong feelings from such as the OP's, shows how important and strong of an artist she is. The work reached him and pulled a reaction out of him. What more can an artist ask?!

Wayne said: You could say the same thing about a picture of someone taking a crap.

I never compared or equated her work to my hypothetical picture, nor did I intend to. I was merely arguing that reaction doesn't necessarily measure the strength of an artist, because the same could be said of a picture of someone taking a crap. I could have chosen other unpleasent images that would cause a reaction and that most would agree don't reflect the strength of the artist or the work as art.

20. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    "...I never compared or equated her work to my hypothetical picture, nor did I intend to. I was merely arguing that reaction doesn't necessarily measure the strength of an artist, because the same could be said of a picture of someone taking a crap...."

And I never wrote that you did. You did equate the two as creating the same feeling (or type) of disgust -- which is what I disagree with.

21. Alan Edward Klein

Alan Edward Klein Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm glad my canine picture of myself is causing controversy with some. That means it must be good art. Most of my regular pictures don't get any comments.

22. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No, you're misunderstanding or I'm not communicating my meaning well enough. I'll just leave it at that.

23. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Satire can be very fine art indeed.

24. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    what you need is a calendar of you as your alter ego and it will make even more of an impact
    then you can appear on children's shows like sesame street ... and hand out with mr noodle and mr noodle's brother mr noodle.

25. macfred

macfred Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sounds good!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.