Check out this cryptic post from CatLABS... (<- Check out that click-bait)

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by OSFPhoto, Mar 30, 2018.

1. OSFPhoto

OSFPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    http://www.catlabs.info/we-will-make-packfilm

This is the first thing I've seen in a long time from them regarding packfilm. (Last post on this page was in 2016.) It would be nice to see a return of the format, especially because days after getting my Land 180 the stuff was discontinued, but if they're going to be the ones to do it, it's going to be an uphill battle! My best wishes to the folks at CatLABS; there's a market for what you're trying to bring back, and I'll be in it!

2. P.johnson14

P.johnson14 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    I had written them off after no updates for almost two years. We'll see what happens. Hopefully they are working with other folks in the industry, not sure I'd be willing to deal with something like the original impossible again.

However, If they make something usable, at even a semi reasonable price point, I will be a customer. I love peel apart.

3. bvy

bvy Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. twelvetone12

twelvetone12 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Again? I thought it was already debunked it was just a publicity stunt.

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    cat labs doesn't do publicity stunts
    if you have been fortunate to go to
    cat lab you will realize they are
    the real deal

6. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would be happy if pack film were reintroduced, but I am not holding my breath. We'll have to see if CatLABS is the real deal or not with respect to pack film.

7. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I highly doubt it. But I am cheering for them every step of the way. If they manage to make packfilm the prices will be very high with all the bitching and moanig of folks expecting to get 10 frames for 10 dollars back.But again I will be cheering for them every step of the way.

8. canuhead

canuhead Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    4x5 instant film, packs or sheets, would be pretty impressive. If same price as New55 and better quality, it will *probably* sell.

9. I am not going to hold my breathe.

10. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whatizzit?

Pack film is wonderful - but I think the most likely company that has the technology to bring it back (since Fuji won't) is Impossible/Polaroid.

11. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Problem is that making machines that can make packfilm cost millions. Since Impossible/Polaroid Originals only made a profit this year since they started in 2008/2009 I would count on them to take on a riscfull endevourment like this. Frankly speaking nobody knows how big the demant is. If packfilm is going to cost $40,00 per pack of 10 Not a lot of people will buy it. That market was already small and with a higher price it will become even smaller. And that might not be worth making the costs in the first place. But again I hope Catlabs will pull it of for a nice price.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.