Can't really explain this one (Minolta Autocord)

The Wedding

D
The Wedding

Rockwood Bungalow

A
Rockwood Bungalow

Posing

D
Posing

Saab 99LE

A
Saab 99LE

Fall

A
Fall

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenshi Daito
Recent bookmarks

Duceman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Normally on the Bay, Minolta Autocords go from between $100 to $200, depending upon condition. A lot of these are sold "as is" but at least there is nothing obviously wrong with these cameras (but who knows what lingers that will only be discovered after receipt).

This auction has me scratching my head as it is clearly identified as "not working" because the shutter is stuck (and no, I didn't bid on it): https://www.ebay.com/itm/134320121578

$123.50 for a camera that is clearly described as "not working"? Even as a parts camera, it's only worth about half of that. I understand that the shutter issue could possibly be fixed with the application of a little lighter fluid, but still, that's more than a bit of a gamble. After tax/shipping, someone paid ~$150 for this camera.

Is there something about this particular model of Autocord that makes it desirable?

OP
OP
Duceman

Duceman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I can understand the "for parts only" as most of the sellers on the Bay have no idea what they have, or the knowledge to perform a simple function test. There is risk involved in buying such cameras, which is simply a part of reality of dealing with items on the Bay.

However, this camera was clearly marked as "not working" and the seller describes the problem in the description.

Dan Daniel

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
If you know what you are doing, you will probably get a nice Autocord for $150 plus some sweat equity. That shutter model rarely goes completely bad. Most likely a cocking rack travel issue and gummed up system.

Parts wise, the focus lever appears to be intact (but all shots show it in same position, so it is not certain that it is ok). That's $75 plus right there if you need one. Lenses may be clean (but no open shot with backlight, so rear group could be a mess), another $50. All the red dust means that it has been in its case, which is usually not a good sign but it does protect the cosmetics. Typical level of paint chips and such.

I've obviously looked at too many Autocords on Ebay. It's about 20 bucks above where I would have gone with it, but who knows what the buyer wants it for?

cramej

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have notice an increase in cameras listed as "for parts only". Nobody wants to stand behind what they sell anymore. In this instance, everyone thinks old film cameras are worth the exceptional prices they are charging.

It's because of ebay's return policy that favors buyers almost 100%. Even if you do not accept returns as a seller, eBay will force a return of the item if it is in any way not as described, which can be easily made up by the buyer. That is, unless you list the item as parts/ repair. It's a loophole around the forced returns.

Say you sell a camera described as working but the 1 second shutter speed is too long. That's "not working as described" and then you're out the return shipping and the hassle of relisting. Now people see the relisted item and are wary. I had to sell a Hasselblad back as parts/repair because I no longer had a camera to be sure there weren't any light leaks. I knew it functioned fine but couldn't guarantee it 100%.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom