Canon F1n vs. Nikon F2? Really, is one better than the other?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by SchwinnParamount, Jan 2, 2014.

1. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    It's just "different strokes for different folks" all these cameras are capable of the highest standards of work in the hands of the right photographer, but buying a Stradivarius violin doesn't make one a violinist only a Stradivarius owner.

2. frank

frank Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We agree again, Ben! :smile:

3. BradleyK

BradleyK Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to point that out, benjiboy, to the young woman, on one of the social media sites, I believe, who made the asinine remark that "everyone is a photographer now."

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    Many people these days with an entry level DSLR or a smartphone delude themselves that they are "photographers" if you find this remark " assanine" that's only your opinion it doesn't make it any the less true.

5. frank

frank Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It all hinges on ones definition of photographer.

6. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah. It does depend on the definition of "photographer." Technically I suppose those people are right. Anyone who records an image using a camera (I can grudgingly include a phone camera I suppose) is a photographer but that doesn't make them a good one. Just as anyone who writes a poem or short story or essay is a writer, but they may still be an abysmal writer.

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    Many of them have inflated ideas of their own capabilities and take on commercial work at knock down prices with the idea of making a fast buck that usually end in disaster for them and their clients.

8. frank

frank Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just like anyone can make art and call themselves an artist. This is completely independent of the quality of art they produce.

9. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sometimes, depends on what the client wants, and the photographer of course. I hired a friend who does just a bit of this (though she'd sworn never to do a wedding because of the one-off nature of it, she made an exception for us) to photograph my wedding. I'd originally promised my wife a honeymoon in Europe but the venue she chose was expensive enough to knock that out. (We had one shot at the wedding, Europe would be there in the future.) There were three (well, probably more than that but...) things of which we could only afford one: 1) honeymoon in Europe, 2) expensive (for us anyway) venue for the day, 3) "real" pro photographer. The third wasn't even in consideration. My friend did more than fine. We were and are quite pleased with the results.

I know that may seem insulting some real pro wedding photographers and that's surely not my intent. For couples who can afford them and have tastes such that the prices are worth it to them, more power to them. My photographic tastes are probably still more discriminating than the average person and I still thought my friend with her DSLR did great. OTOH, I knew my friend's work and had some basis to judge. I have seen some truly atrocious work, much of undoubtedly billed at many times what we paid my friend.

Sorry to say but "good enough" often really is good enough.

10. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly. If you work in an expressive medium, chances are if you wonder if you're really an artist - you are. I read that on Facebook somewhere and honestly, I agree with it. (If you are CERTAIN you are, however....) You may not be a good one, but who says you have to be good? I'm all for the democratization of art.

11. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    I have no aspirations to be an "Artist" I'm still struggling to be a good photographer, my work is craft not art.

12. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The difference being? Not combative a serious question Ben.

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    This has been debated for centurys Martin and far too involved to discuss here, all I'm saying is I have no dellusions that what I'm producing is art because far too many people I have known in the past have, and the majority of them when you actually see their work are deluding themselves.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. frank

frank Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Again it all hinges on ones personal definition of, and baggage attached to, the words art and artist.

16. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Kinda like the difference between dolphins and whales.

17. flavio81

flavio81 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, back on the topic, i just sold my Nikon F3. By bye F3. I also sold my Rollei 35 (another overrated camera) and bought a Canon New F-1 1984 Olympics version!! Ooohh i'm so happy!!

On the Nikon camp i'm staying with the F2AS, F, FE and FG.

18. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    The L.A Olympics version usually costs around twice as much as the ordinary production one these days especially in mint condition. I certainly wouldn't buy one if I didn't have enough of them already.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
  19. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    The New F1's hybrid electro-mechanical shutter will work mechanically without batteries from 1/90th to 1/2000th plus B. what Nikon cameras can do that?

20. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The FM2n has a mechanical shutter that peaks at 1/4000 with a peak flash sync of 1/250. No battery needed if that's your thing.

21. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The FM3a will do what the FM2n does, plus have stepless shutter speeds between 30 seconds and 1/4000 in A mode. Don't even need to remove the battery. In manual mode, the shutter is mechanically timed.

-J

22. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And what the porpoise is...

23. flavio81

flavio81 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's a good machine but I preferred the FE2 due to it's "A" mode.

To be honest i don't really think I need any sort of mechanical backup with a camera as frugal as the FE2 (or FE). What puts the F-1N above those cameras, for me, is the way the viewfinder is executed in the F-1N. All relevant info (shutter speed, selected aperture, and suggested aperture) is shown together on the same place and outside the image area, plus illuminated if I need it. Much better than the kludge used in the Nikon viewfinders: The AI system does not allow the Nikon camera to know the actual (absolute) aperture value, it only allows the camera to know the aperture value relative to the maximum aperture. That's why those cameras need an optical system to show the aperture value directly from the painted-on number on the aperture ring.

Meanwhile the FD system allows the camera to know the actual (absolute) aperture value, the maximum f-stop of the lens (lens speed), and the focal length of the lens (the magical "reserved" pin)...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
  24. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    If God ever made a better manual focus professional 35mm S.L.R. camera than the New Canon F1 he kept it to himself.

25. Jet

Jet Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thread: Canon F1n vs. Nikon F2? Really, is one better than the other?

I read through all 48 pages, then joined APUG. I have several Nikon's in the collection, ranging from an S2 to a D2x. Decades ago I picked up an F2 from a pawn shop really cheap. It came with a 55 micro Nikkor, and the package ran me $70. The F2 looked liked it had been dropped off a cliff - dents galore. The locking key on the base had been ripped out. I used it for several years until the DP3 finder stopped lighting up. I had been wondering how it compared to the various versions of the Canon F1, and now I know. I rate it as the best manual Nikon SLR that I've used. It's sturdy and has a remarkably sweet winding mechanism.

26. flavio81

flavio81 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I also own the Nikon F2AS. I also think it's the best manual Nikon SLR that I've used (although i've not used the F4/5/6.) And it's a great camera, and if I had no Canon FD lenses, surely i would be happy with the F2.

However I like the F-1N a bit more, for the reasons explained before.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.