Members
Latest member
philipandre
Recent bookmarks

ColdEye

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have this chrome canon 50mm 1.8 that has some haziness and I want to clean it. I have removed everything up to the focusing mount, but that's it. There is another retaining ring I can remove but it just screws out and that's it. Any tips or guides? Thank you.

P.S. How do I remove or disable the infinity lock?

C145B335-E5F9-4789-8156-A16FD4E41FC9.jpeg

Neil Grant

Shooter
Multi Format
..not many guys prepared to dismantle lenses on this site. What about trying to attach some sort of suction pad to the rear element - ever seen a valve-grinding tool? Then try to rotate the lens. Maybe try changes of temperature? Run some alcohol around the edge of the element? Not too much or it will end up on the iris. Let us know if you succeed. Good luck.

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
Unscrew the retaining ring shown in your picture. Turn the lens over and gently tap it against your cupped palm. The lens cell will slide out with a little persuasion. The barrel is .025mm or less larger than the cell, the slightest tilt of the cell will prevent it from moving but it will slide freely when perfectly centered.

awty

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yes they come out pretty easy (theres probably a youtube vid somewhere, but its as SF describes), dont drop it!, the glass is very soft. Good luck with cleaning it. I tried on one badly hazed and it was futile effort as the haze was etched into the lens. You may get acceptable results if you spend a lot of time with a very gentle polish. These lens are very prone to hazing, very hard to get a good one, I have 3 and hope to put together at least one good one. Would of been far wiser to get another brand.

OP
OP
ColdEye

ColdEye

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Ha, I have not tried as you described shutter finger. I will later when I get home. Found it at a swap meet here and I want to see if I can get it to clean up.

OP
OP
ColdEye

ColdEye

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Removed the retaining ring, no luck with the gentle taps. Tried to move it a bit with a soft plastic tool and it doesn't really move. Would the heat from a blow dryer help or will that just mess something up?

OP
OP
ColdEye

ColdEye

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yes only glass, but there is a gap as you have described (barrel larger than lens) I don't know if I am seeing things but if I look closely there is another retaining ring underneath, or at least 2 notches for a spanner. I can't get to it tho. I will try gentle blow dryer heat later. I appreciate all the help.

OP
OP
ColdEye

ColdEye

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Forgot to take a picture, but with some help from a blow dryer the lens element just popped off. I am following guides online and they say I just have to unscrew the elements so I will give it a go this weekend.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom