Can I use a 2 1/4x 3 1/4 film pack Negative carrier for 120 roll film?

Untitled

A
Untitled

Black Bull (2010)

A
Black Bull (2010)

Liz-Lith.jpg

A
Liz-Lith.jpg

Stray (2014)

H
Stray (2014)

Time #2

Time #2

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyanotypeworld
Recent bookmarks

elmontanero

Shooter
Medium Format
Can I use a 2 1/4x 3 1/4 Negative carrier intended for pack film for 120 roll film?
I've looked high and low on specs for the film pack... but my google fu is weak.
I know it's a similar size but worrying about space between the locating pins, exact size of opening for the roll not to be open on edges.
I do know that the roll film negatives image area is 56x82mm.

Shot a dozen rolls of 6x9 and realized that I don't have a Beseler Negative carrier in that size. The wisdom of the learned is greatly appreciated.

Rick A

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Short answer is yes, there is a minor difference in opening size but it's negligible.

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yes it's one of the 120 frame formats, which are 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9, note all these sizes are nominal in practice the exposed area is a touch smaller. My 6x9 negative are more like 5.7x8,2

So you'll be OK.

Ian

Shooter
Pinhole
You can make negative carriers out mat board if you are not picky. That’s what a friend of mine and I did in college with a few for the D2. Take the carrier you do have and use it for a template. Cut a top and bottom and then make your hole the way you want it. We registered top and bottom using straight pins with the beaded plastic heads. Stick them in the bottom part point down, make a small notch for the beaded heads in the top half and “Violin” you have a custom negative carrier for your enlarger.

Oh, dont forget to trim off the pin portion ;-)

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Film Pack Film is wider than 120 Roll Film

Nominally the 520 film pack was identical in size. The older Continental European sheet film size size was 6.5x9 and was very common and exported to the US, and there were also 6.5x9 film packs, I have a holder for a KW Patent Etui

Ian

Last edited:

Arklatexian

Shooter
Multi Format
Nominally the 520 film pack was identical in size. The older Continental European sheet film size size was 6.5x9 and was very common and exported to the US, and there were also 6.5x9 film packs, I have a holder for a KW Patent Etui

Ian
I would think they are pretty close. At least you do know there is a difference. If it doesn't fit and you cannot find the correct holder, do make one using mount board. They do work......Been there, done that.!....Regards!

OP
OP
elmontanero

elmontanero

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks one and all for all the comments.
I'm not worried about having the "black" come through on the print. I've had carriers that did that and you can either take it or mask it away in the easel - no bother. I am concerned that putting the Negative in the carrier and having air around/no contact with the carrier and not kept flat. Anyone "been there and done that" and can talk from experience?
I've used glass neg carriers and don't love them. Keeping 6 surfaces clean is less fun than worrying about 2 surfaces. But of course you know that the negative is FLAT.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I would sure try it. I too hate glass carriers. Below is a guide to Beseler carrier numbers , not sure if it will help . In a pinch good 3M Super 33 black electricians tape can be applied to the carrier opening. It's not the best way, but I've done that to limp by when I was in a similar situation.

http://www.oresteen.com/bes 45 carriers.htm

OP
OP
elmontanero

elmontanero

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks all. I had the choice of the pack film holder in beautiful shape and a roll film holder in dreadful shape. I went with the Pack film holder after the seller sent me pictures with measurements of the opening. Hoping for the best.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the 6x9 Negatives print like. (if you're curious from a Fuji gl690)
Negative peek on the light table:
img-20180901-173741-418_orig.jpg

OP
OP
elmontanero

elmontanero

Shooter
Medium Format
Just a follow up. The carrier arrived today. Looks brand new.
Great fit for the roll film and my 6x9 camera for the opening. The roll film carriers have bigger buttons near the opening to facilitate locating the film roll easier, but this one is in such good shape that I'll definitely be using it happily. Great deal for 24 bucks.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom