Can anyone give me any prediction or insight on if there will be affordable/accessible 35 mm color film

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agreenier
Recent bookmarks

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Yes matters are not ideal on either stocks or affordability of colour film. So is the situation you find yourself in one where you can find just no colour film in New York or any of the other retailers in the U.S.?

Or is it solely connected to affordability? What's an affordable price for colour film for you?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
It depends on what you mean by "affordable". It's doubtful any of it will ever be cheap again. There's no reason it should be. Manufacturers are producing below demand. If demand drops off the face of the earth again, you may see some clearance prices for a while. Otherwise, the more restricted the amount of production, the higher the price will be, anyway.

koraks

Shooter
Multi Format
Shoot less so cost isn't as prohibitive.
Digital is very suitable for spray & pray - if you ignore the costs of selection, processing, storage/archiving etc.
Film benefits from some consideration before pressing the button.
$15 roll isn't all that expensive if you shoot 1-2 rolls/month.

BMbikerider

Shooter
35mm
I am afraid my crystal ball batteries have just run out! The situation is dire for 35mm film but 120 seems to have a steady supply both with Kodak and Fuji and the prices are not too unreasonable. This is in UK, I don't know about elsewhere.

There is a an 'old'fashioned' camera shop in Delft, in the Netherlands, they seem to be able to get a small supply of 35mm but it sold out as soon as it arrives.

I still have about 19 x 36 exp rolls of both FuJI and Kodak, all well in date stored my fridge but I think once they are gone. If 120 is still around I may start to use this instead. If that expires as well, then it is back to B&W and digital for colour.

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
There is always the possibility that some Chinese film line is restarted

If Shanghai film is any indication, though, they'll be selling the film at the same price everyone else does. There's no reason they'd undercut Kodak and Fuji prices by very much.

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format
If Shanghai film is any indication, though, they'll be selling the film at the same price everyone else does. There's no reason they'd undercut Kodak and Fuji prices by very much.

Supply and demand. And also supply lines. As long as it's sold through eBay and opportunistic shops for "that speciality film, you've been hearing about", then the prices will be one just pulled out of their arse.
When they enter stores and big online stores and the hype has died down, then prices will fall.

Same with Gold 120. It's new, but it's not cheap compared to the quite superior Ektar 100 or Portra 160. Not even 25% many places.
That is untenable.

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Wouldn't the bulk rolls of Cinestill film be cheaper than $9 a roll?. Requires a darkroom or changing bag and some skill in loading, of course but with only 2 responses we have no way of knowing if raquelle would consider this avenue

What seems certain is that in the near future colour roll film prices can only rise way further and take prices way beyond her affordable price of $9 a roll. So bad news, raquelle, I am afraid

If demand continues to outstrip supply and as a result prices rise in the current manner, what chance HIE might become a viable proposition or is the "pay whatever it takes" phenomenon confined to b&w? :smile:

pentaxuser

Last edited:

warden

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
My definition of affordable is under $9 guys give me a break

Welcome!

My guess is that there is not sufficient volume purchased to make film (and developing) inexpensive for the next ten years at least. I would define inexpensive as $5/roll for a consumer film.

Your overall cost can be reduced significantly if you develop your own film, if that helps. Also you could check out expired films, which can sometimes be a bargain and almost as good as fresh film.

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Bulk loading (Vision3 and Ektachrome 100 cine stock are readily available in 400 foot rolls, break down to 100 foot for a bulk loader or 3D print a 400 foot loader); this gives purchase price around $6.50 a roll for 135-36 (not counting loader and cassettes, which are indefinitely reusable), for some of the best color films ever made; developing at home in Flexicolor C-41 with replenishment of the developer tank solution can be under a dollar a roll (with a buy-in under $150 and standard equipment). If you're worried about perfect color rendition, home-mixed or kit ECN-2 is an option as well; home mixed and replenished, it ought to cost less than Flexicolor per roll.

mtnbkr

Shooter
Multi Format
The Walmarts in this area (Northern VA) sometimes have 3 packs of Fuji Superia 400 for just under $20. They're often not in stock, but you get lucky sometimes. I've purchased 3 packs since getting back into film last Fall. I've noticed when it's in stock, they'll have several on the peg, but then it'll be weeks before it appears again.

Chris

Huss

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
My definition of affordable is under $9 guys give me a break

One roll for $9

3 rolls for $25

Stock up on it, seriously. Next time it will be 3 rolls for $30. It already is at some places.

Nitroplait

Shooter
Multi Format
$9 has passed and will never return.
As Huss says, fill your freezer now or be forever quiet.

My guess is that $15 will be the new affordable.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Kodak just announced that they have stopped ColorPlus production, so that frees up a Chinese line and some expertise (might even have already happened).

Are you saying Eastman Kodak is (or was) producing Kodak ColorPlus in China?

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Wouldn't the bulk rolls of Cinestill film be cheaper than $9 a roll?. Requires a darkroom or changing bag and some skill in loading, of course but with only 2 responses we have no way of knowing if raquelle would consider this avenue

What seems certain is that in the near future colour roll film prices can only rise way further and take prices way beyond her affordable price of $9 a roll. So bad news, raquelle, I am afraid

If demand continues to outstrip supply and as a result prices rise in the current manner, what chance HIE might become a viable proposition or is the "pay whatever it takes" phenomenon confined to b&w? :smile:

pentaxuser

Handling 400 feet of film on a standard core (recently learned is a Kodak U core) is an adventure :smile:. I bought a 400' roll of Eastman Double X, I have a Nikor machine for loading movie film spirals for processing. I was able to adapt this for breaking down this 400'
There is no support on the sides of the 400 foot spooling, once you remove the small piece of tape holding the end of the film to the roll, you need to hold the film, to keep it from falling off the core.

Not intended to scare but one needs to be prepared. :smile:

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Are you saying Eastman Kodak is (or was) producing Kodak ColorPlus in China?

He is, but they haven't produced/manufactured/confectioned any film in China for quite some time. They have one production facility in the USA, and Kodak Alaris buys and distributes all the Kodak branded film in the world from the USA facility.
Whether or not ColorPlus was aimed at the market in China and other markets outside North America and Europe is a different question.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
He is, but they haven't produced/manufactured/confectioned any film in China for quite some time. They have one production facility in the USA, and Kodak Alaris buys and distributes all the Kodak branded film in the world from the USA facility.
Whether or not ColorPlus was aimed at the market in China and other markets outside North America and Europe is a different question.

Well considering this fact, that building 38 coats all the Eastman Kodak cine and still film in the world. The disruptions due to the Covid pandemic. Everyone in the chain is maxed out.
Where does Eastman Kodak confection 35mm film into cassettes?

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Where does Eastman Kodak confection 35mm film into cassettes?

Rochester. I'm not sure if is in a part of Building 38, or nearby.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I toured Kodak Park as a kid, sometime around 1970-'71. I remember one building with seemingly endless injection molding machines making the black plastic 126 Instamatic cartridges.
I can't imagine the perforating lines at EK, trillions of little film Chad, punched out every day, week?
I've never in 50 years of shooting Kodak 35mm film had a single experience with bad perforations. Crazy how good these people are.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom