Camera for a 5-yr-old

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by pbromaghin, Jun 14, 2018.

1. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After having successfully infected my son-in-law (inactive Photrion laostyle17) with the film photography bug, I want to try the same with my grand-daughter, Hurricane Alyssa. She is familiar with cameras - she even built one out of legos - but doesn't quite understand why you can't see the picture on the back of the camera after you take it.

She'll be visiting us for a week (oh, and she's bringing her mom along) in July and this setup will be waiting for her: Minolta x-700 with 28mm lens loaded with Portra 400. I'll be carrying a near-identical x-570. I figure with the camera in "P" mode for full-auto exposure and a short lens it is the next best thing to a point-n-shoot, and the iso 400 will allow for fast shutter speeds, good depth of field and for shooting indoors. When she finishes her first roll it's going right to the 1-hr lab.

I considered a zoom lens, but decided that would be too much work for her first time. Also loading B&W and home processing, but rejected those for pretty much the same reasons. I want this to be easy and give the most immediate results it can. She is a modern kid after all. I haven't decided whether to send it home with her or if it should be something she does with Grampa.

How does this sound? Does anybody have any other suggestions?

2. Kino

Kino Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, you could get a disposable camera; can't get much simpler than that...

3. Billy Axeman

Billy Axeman Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Disposables are bad. Nowadays we are living in a world where using plastic packaging and disposables are increasingly considered a crime against future generations.

Give this 5-year old a light fixed-focus camera without any controls. A Minolta x-700 is much too heavy and complicated.

And please constraint yourself imposing your hobby on other persons.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Instax camera and film. The 1 Hour Photo kiosk is just not fast enough for a 5 year old's attention span, not to mention keeping her on task to take 36 photos before you drive over there.

5. Billy Axeman

Billy Axeman Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is a good idea faberryman, because you can see an immediate result. I recently tried out a Fuji Square SQ6, but I wouldn't recommend it because it has too many control buttons. I guess a Mini 9 in a suitable color would do.

6. Kino

Kino Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many disposables are reused.

https://petapixel.com/2015/08/04/this-is-how-fujifilm-recycled-disposable-cameras-in-1998/

Please constrain yourself from making sweeping generalizations...

7. Billy Axeman

Billy Axeman Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
  8. Kino

Kino Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course, no one could ever reload a disposable camera by themselves and give it back to the child.... oh wait...

https://www.lomography.com/magazine/248878-the-complete-guide-to-reloading-disposable-cameras
    https://www.flickr.com/groups/disposable/discuss/72157594513963955/
    https://lifehacker.com/125330/how-to-re-use-a-disposable-kodak-camera

9. Billy Axeman

Billy Axeman Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Kino, I have still two camera's in stock and I'll try to reload them for fun (with XP2). So, make your grand-daughter happy with a disposable camera if you want, when they are still available (not for long).

10. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the instax idea. If not that, then b/w film you can develop right away. At 5, waiting is a buzzkill. In fact, you can actually discourage her interest if you not careful.

And the X-700 might get a bit heavy for her. Though it has the advantage of being "like Grandpa's camera".

I tried a pinhole camera with my 7yo granddaughter. It did not hold a lot of interest.

11. macfred

macfred Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 2009 when my daughter was 6 years old, she's got an Instax mini 25 - all my other cameras were much to heavy / bulky for her tiny hands.
    She loved the Instax very much - for her it was a great 'getting in' to photography. .Today she prefers my Polaroid Land camera 250 Automatic..

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Billy Axeman

Billy Axeman Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    No workflow type was selected for this thread, so digital solutions are allowed I guess.

Another option could be a point-and-shoot digital camera and then print the photos on a Canon Selphy CP printer (10x15 cm). This is almost like the Instax idea but you get photo's on a much bigger format.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. fjpod

fjpod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just got my 8 yo grandson an Instax wide. He loves it. Don't blame me, but he is REALLY into film photography. I had given him a little old point and shoot digital to play with, which he dropped in a flash when he discovered my old film cameras in the attic. Ever since he has made me teach him more about aperatures, shutter speeds, film speeds, etc. And he made me set up all my darkroom equipment again.

16. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In case you have an appropriate camera you could take some paper negatives with her. That would give some inside into the positive/negative thing and why things take time.

17. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with Billy Axeman. Start her out on d*****l photography. If that sticks, let her advance to film, wet plates, and Daguerreotypes. Who knows where that might lead? When Edwin Land's three-year-old daughter asked why she couldn't see the photographs now, her papa thought, "Why not?" The result was the Polaroid system.

18. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    instax seems to be the obvious choice.

19. TheGreatGasMaskMan

TheGreatGasMaskMan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    110???
    Or, you could just find a used 35mm point and shoot at a thrift store for a few dollars...

20. winger

winger Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would suggest (in this order) Instax mini, P&S digital, cheap and simple 35mm. FWIW, I have a couple of $5 bright yellow 35mm cameras that came with magazine subscriptions or something - focus-free, no exposure controls. My now 8-year-old has gotten some decent shots with one.

No way would I trust him to carry and shoot a full 35mm like the x-700. He's far too active for that. If your granddaughter is really "Hurricane Alyssa", I'd hold off for a few years on the Minolta.

21. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Instax.

22. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the instax.

If you want a 35mm suggestion, I would say the Canon sure shot a1 or wp1.
    Under water camera with auto aucus, auto advance. Bright colors. Easy to use large buttons. Rugged can use at the beach or whatever.

23. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I gave my daughter an instax when she was 5. A year later, and she still loves it. The instant print is the right size for her hand, and we’re getting some fabulous keepers

24. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about a Speed Graphic?

25. OP
    OP
    pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Instax never entered my mind until this thread and didn't realize the mini was so cheap. And you are all right - she would love it. I see it on sale at my neighborhood Target for $60 and 20 exposures for $15.

You're giving me a new brainstorm - she will be here during Gramma's birthday and Gramma mentioned interest in an Instax of her own back around Christmas time. I originally conceived of this as something Alyssa and I could do, and was real excited when I found this X-700 body for real cheap. But maybe I can instead get 2 instax cameras and it can be a thing for them to do together.

26. OP
    OP
    pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nah, she can just use my Cambo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.