Camera Bags for your SLR?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by zacharyeoman, Jan 6, 2019.

1. TheRook

TheRook Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Camera bags come in all shapes and sizes. And for airport traveling purposes, it doesn't really need to be a bag specifically designed for a camera... as long at the bag can properly protect the camera. Assuming you have no intention of using the camera onboard, easy removal of the camera from the bag isn't particularly important.

2. As TheRook points out, it need not be a bag designed for cameras/lenses. I have two travel cases that I use for my photo gear when a good deal of walking will be involved. One is a carry-on in which I've made compartments within it using closed foam inserts. It is fairly compact -- about 12" x 12" x 8" deep, and has two wheels and a telescoping handle to make rolling it along easy. The other is a mid-sized soft-sided piece of luggage, too big for a carry on. This one is about 24" x 16" x 10" and has four wheels on the bottom and an extending handle. I like the four wheels. I use this one for my bigger stuff. I have a couple of large zooms and telephotos that are too big for my carry-on. It also works well when I want to transport my Pentax 67 system and other cameras with a few of their lenses. I've used closed foam to create compartments with this soft-sided piece of luggage as well. By repurposing luggage in this manner -- luggage that can often be found at thrift stores for chump change -- one can save a huge amount versus buying large camera bags or backpacks or whatever.

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. CropDusterMan

CropDusterMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the Domke F5XB as well as the Domke F6. My Domke F6 holds 2 "Modern" Leicas and an M4
    with 5 lenses yet it's compact.

The F5XB holds a Leica body and lens + Spair and enough room for a couple rolls.

5. Sewin

Sewin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also use one of these small bags which I line with padding, not so tempting and cheap from the Army & Navy Stores.

bag.jpg

6. Barry King

Barry King Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have used a variety of camera bags over many years, only Billingham make bags that are totally weatherproof without the need of a separate waterproof cover, they are supremely well made and will protect your gear for many years and they are totally made in England by artisans not in some sweatshop in the far east. Hadley_Pro_Burgundy_Chocolate_Canvas_505214-54_676x@2x.progressive.jpg

7. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And I haven't read any news stories about thefts of diaper bags being on the rise.

8. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There are a lot of good old bags on Ebay for good prices. No sense looking at new. I've washed old bags in my washing machine and they came out fine. My machine is a side loader with no agitator.

I always liked Tamrac. I have two Tamrac bags that I purchased new in the 1980's and they are both in good shape. The LowePro bags seem just as good. Domke's are really nice if you don't need as much padding.

9. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A note on older bags: I have a 10 or 15 year old Lowepro Rover AW backpack. The bag is in pristine condition and hasn't seen too much use or abuse, but the waterproof coating around the zippers has deteriorated and become sticky with age, making the bag less pleasant to use. Lowepro told me that this is not unusual and did not offer any remedy.

10. MattKing, that diaper bag looks too much like a camera bag to me. If I were gonna use a diaper bag to disguise my photo gear, I'd choose one with flowers and pink elephants or My Little Ponies or something similar printed all over it. I'm pretty sure that would work like predator repellant.

11. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I scored a Crumpler 6 million dollar home from a member on another forum for $35.00 shipped. It looks virtually unused. Checking the for sale listings on PhotoTrio for camera bags might be in order.....

12. abruzzi

abruzzi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love the crumpler bags, but it looks like they have really revised their new offerings to the point that most don't appeal to me.. I have a 4MDH, two 5MDHs, a 6MDH, and a 7MDH. All bought used and cheap on ebay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.