Bronica S2A helicoids?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by johnha, Feb 22, 2018.

1. johnha

johnha Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi All, I have a Bronica S2A (matches all web-derived-wisdom relating to the differences between the S2 & S2A) with what looks like an earlier helicoid. All the photos I've seen of the S2A show it with a helicoid marked in metres for the 75 & 100mm lenses. The one for my S2A is marked in feet for 75, 80 & 100mm lenses. While I'm pretty sure it works fine, I'm interested to know if the focus distance in feet will be accurate?

Also, are the helicoids part of the lens, part of the body or a separate part altogether (ie. if buying a used lens, would you expect the helicoid to be included)?

John.

2. itsdoable

itsdoable Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an EC TL, and my helical is marked in meters for the 75, 80, and 100mm. The helicals are separate, and are interchangeable between the Bronica's that use a separate helical.

The meters/feet marking will depend on where the product was marketed. Weither it has the 80mm markings depend on if it was made before or after the 80mm was introduced.

3. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Typically the helicoids are sold with the body. Sometimes you will see a lens being sold with a helicoid attached.

4. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I wonder if they "goofed" and sold the camera without the helicoid and the lens with the helicoid.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  5. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As said earlier, the helicoid is removable. When using the bellows attachment, 105mm lens, or 300mm and longer lenses you need to remove the helicoid focus ring. Look at page #30.

http://trondbaashus.org/filer/bronica/S2A_Manual.pdf

I used to shoot EC's. I had the 40mm Nikkor, 75mm Nikkor and 150mm Bronica lenses. Great lenses. Enjoy!

6. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I just pulled out my S2 with 7.5cm lens, which has a helicoid with scales for 50/75/135/200, focused on an object, and noted the distance per the 75mm scale. I then swapped the helicoid for another one with a 75mm single scale, focused again, and got the same distance on that scale. So I'd say that all the helicoids marked as working for lenses up to 200mm will work interchangeably; certainly these two helicoids I examined are identical except for the scales and the "Zenza Bronica" engraving (one has letters a bit smaller). Do watch out for helicoids designed for the longer lenses above 200mm -- they may well be lens-specific. I cap out at 200mm so have no direct experience.

7. OP
    OP
    johnha

johnha Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies. OK I'm happy my focus distance should be OK.

Looking at the focus distance chart (pg 29 of the manual), I presume this allows you 'convert' the focussing distance from the 75mm lens scale on the helicoid depending on which lens you have? Eg if I've got 2m on the 75mm scale with the 150mm lens in, this indicates 7m for the 150mm?

8. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One little addition about helicoids, not all are compatible with all lenses. My S2a came with a helicoid marked for 75mm & 100mm. I bought an older 200mm and it wouldn't focus to infinity with that helicoid. I later picked up a 50/75/100/200mm helicoid and it works fine with that one.