1. Current PHOTRIO advertisers: Click Here For Current Advertisers List

Blue Moon Camera & Machine now stocking J. Lane Dry Plates

Discussion in 'PHOTRIO Advertisers Forum' started by Nodda Duma, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For those of you living in the Portland, OR area, Blue Moon Camera & Machine has begun stocking J. Lane Dry Plates! I'm pretty excited to be making this announcement, if for no other reason than the folks at Blue Moon Camera are just awesome people who love analog photography as much as anyone. They will also develop your plates for you.

So if you live in that area, stop in and tell them how great it is that they are doing this. They currently stock 4x5 and 8x10. Feel free to inquire about other sizes as well. I can make any size plates that you want.

https://www.bluemooncamera.com/

-Jason

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    talk about cool.
    great job j.lane !

3. paulbarden

paulbarden Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The people at Blue Moon are the best. If you drop by the shop on any given Saturday, you’d quickly come to the conclusion that film cameras were unquestionably enjoying their second heyday. They can barely keep the film shelves stocked! That place is abuzz with excitement, and everyone who works there has a wealth of knowledge to share. I’m thrilled to have Blue Moon in my neighborhood.

Jason, your dry plates couldn’t be better represented than they are at Blue Moon. Be prepared to quit your day job!

4. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats. This is terrific news but now I'm confused (don't worry, it happens easily and I get over it fast.) I don't know where to get my plates! :D

5. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Congratulations, that's awesome.

6. paulbarden

paulbarden Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    My first test negative using J. Lane Dry Plates:
    [​IMG]

I miscalculated bellows factor, so its a stop under where I'd like it to be, but I squeezed an image out of it just the same. Shot with my new Intrepid 4X5 and a 203mm Kodak Ektar lens. 30 seconds at f22, processed in Rodinal 1:50 for 15 minutes.

7. OP
    OP
    Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks great, Paul. What emulsion batch is that from (on the back of the box)?

8. paulbarden

paulbarden Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Emulsion #010

9. Kino

Kino Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! All those plate cameras I bypassed over the years... :sad:

10. OP
    OP
    Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome!

-J

11. paulbarden

paulbarden Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Jason,
    I bought two boxes of the 8x10 plates at Blue Moon yesterday, and before I get started with these, I wondered if you had any information to offer about the reciprocity characteristics of this emulsion? With my experiments using the 4x5 plates indoors with compact fluorescent lighting (which may introduce its own issues, I realize) I have had to expose 3 or 4 times as much as I estimate, even guessing at the reciprocity. It seems to require far more than I anticipate.
    Any tips as to reciprocity characteristics? Thanks.

PS: I'm guessing that when I use compact fluorescents (in a softbox) for lighting indoors, its actually delivering precious little usable light for a UV sensitive emulsion like your plates are coated with, right? That would explain why exposures are so much longer, and its not a reciprocity issue as much as I imagine.

Paul

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  12. OP
    OP
    Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Paul,

First off, thank you for trying them out!

In practice (outdoors) I add about 50% exposure time after 45s and 100% after 2 minutes. Faster than that ISO 2 is fine.

The CFL’s may filter out UV. It’s hard to say without characterizing the spectral output. I will say that old fashioned flash bulbs seem to be about a half stop slow.

-Jason

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.