Black cops as individuals

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by jtk, Apr 19, 2018.

1. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. OP
    OP
    jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

those "homeless" vids are amusing...however they just play with superficial changes... clothing and haircuts.....totally unrelated to the "black cops" photos, where it's impossible (for me as a white guy) to discern different views held by those assorted black individuals based on appearances.

The black cops all look individualistically equal to me.

4. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't understand what you mean by "who takes what kind of angle". Maybe you could explain. I felt the in street clothes shots were a bit staged, the lighting or PS'ing was a bit "Time OJ cover" and generally had them posing in a submissive or downtrodden manner. Not all, but enough to make it seem artificial.

I only have a fear of cops when I am in the US. I've had a number of run ins with power hungry ignorant abusive bullies wearing a badge in the States. The only other place I have felt uncomfortable were some third world countries. Generally in those cases a few dollars would solve any "misunderstandings".

5. OP
    OP
    jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Eric, if you read the article in addition to viewing the photos you may discover what I meant. I don't think the editor selected photos to hint at particular "angles" ("angles" = points of view), Do you see a correlation ?

In recent decades I've had no bad experiences with cops, though I suffered from groups of them when they were used as tools during opposition to VN war. I also know, from following up-close the formation of Black Panther Party (early 60s) that the founders and their parents were residents of a mostly black, mostly laboring, mostly homeowner community who were harassed by a department (Oakland CA) consisting of cartoon rednecks.

6. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. OP
    OP
    jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

pbro, THANKS for that much better link. https://www.blackvign.com/projects/black-outlined-blue/

Do you know this man? https://www.blackvign.com/about-1/ An interesting photographer !

"Daniel D. Edwards is an artist that uses photography to address sensitive social and personal topics. His goal is to spark constructive conversation. He uses narrative portraiture primarily and also utilizes alternative processes and still life. Having his hands in the creation of the work is important to him and without a story his work doesn’t have a purpose."

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  8. keenmaster486

keenmaster486 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Unfortunately I would have to take out a subscription to the New York Times to view the first article, which I will not be doing any time soon. (ah, wait, here we go, thank you pbromaghin for posting a direct link.)

I love reading these people's stories. I can't claim to fully understand where they are coming from as black individuals, but looking in from the outside I have always thought very favorably about police officers in general, whether black or white, simply because it is such a difficult and very dangerous and sometimes life-threatening job. But of course there are assholes in the police forces; as there are in any profession. I've also thought for a while that the problem of rapport between police officers and the black community in many places could be alleviated by a movement in the black community to rise up and become police officers themselves, to bring people together instead of being more and more combative, but what do I know.

As for the homeless photos, well, I just think it's funny that they must have chosen the most good-looking homeless people they could find. Not even most people in general (when cleaned up) are that good-looking. As was said above, entirely superficial.

9. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That was excellent, jtk. Thank you for posting it.

(thanks also to pbromaghin for the direct link)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.