"Best" vs. "Favorite" film

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by alanrockwood, Feb 8, 2018.

1. alanrockwood

alanrockwood Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suppose one could make a case that T-Max 100 or perhaps Delta 100 is the "best" film from a technical perspective, but those are not everyone's favorite. Some people love FP4+. Some people swear by Tri-X.

Whad'ya think? Best vs. favorite film?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi alanrockwood for me they are exactly the same film >> expired :smile:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  3. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I had a (one) favorite film, in my mind, it would also be the best. I can only say that it would definitely be a black & white film. I am still trying to run tests to decide between T-Max 100 and Delta 100 and I have liked FP4+ for a long time but it is in a different category. My point is, there is no BEST film for ALL uses......Regards!

4. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I had a (one) favorite film, in my mind, it would also be the best. I can only say that it would definitely be a black & white film. I am still trying to run tests to decide between T-Max 100 and Delta 100 and I have liked FP4+ for a long time but it is in a different category. My point is, there is no BEST film for ALL uses......Regards!

5. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The only film choice I have is - the film I'm still able to afford. Up to now it was HP5+ and Kentmere. But...

6. pchaps

pchaps Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My favorite film was original slow Velvia 4x5 in a Fuji Quickload :smile: My best film is the only 4x5 film that I can buy locally: Ilford FP4+.

7. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    FOMA (Arista EDU) 100 35mm in D76.

8. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anything from Ilford, Adox or Kodak is the best film for me, favorite I don't have, I like them all (except Foma retro 320).

9. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Favorite right now is Ektar 100.

Best for me was Tech Pan for B&W and Kodak Pro 100 for color.

10. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fuji Pro 400H is great film, but prohibitively expensive in the UK. I have a box of 120 left but it's hard to justify buying more. For slides Velvia, five boxes of that left which will have to be used this year. I like Fomapan 100 for its old fashioned feel, and Agfa Vista (Fujicolor 200) because its cheap.

11. Johnkpap

Johnkpap Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My current favorite film is Fuji Acros 100 the tones and image quality are second to none, my second choice when, I need to push a film or I am shooting 5x4 sheet film with more than one lens, or just testing a camera, is Ilford FP4 it is very forgiving.and can be pushed over 1000asa and still give a good result.

Johnkpap

12. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good idea; best vs favorite for me is TMax400/FP4+

13. Fritzthecat

Fritzthecat Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The "best" film is the one you are most familiar with and know how to tweak the outcome to match the situation. You've done the testing, learned its capabilities, and shoot it nearly always (I say "nearly always" because not any one film can do everything). That should make any film your favorite, and the best.

14. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    While the question at first seems like it begs an answer, it is a question with no answer. Does “best” mean fastest, finest grain, greatest congrats, or some other characteristic. For analogy, let’s look at artist paper. Just as with film, many artist papers are no longer manufactured. However, there are still many papers available for drawing, painting with water colors, acrylics, etc., etching and many more. Even narrowing to water color, there are molded, rough surfaced to smooth surfaced and many more, tinted, untainted. Every one of these papers is the best for someone and some are detested by someone.
    The best film is the one you like to use for whatever purpose.

15. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The best films (for me) are TMX, Ektar 100, and Velvia 50. That's why I use them. If I found something better, I'd use that instead.

My favorite film is Aerochrome.

16. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    for me the best film is my fsvotite film, in my case Fomapan 200 or 400.

17. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most advanced B&W film from a technical perspective would be TMY-2. The film I use most is TMX.

18. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best for what? Low light, grain, resolution, IR capture? For me, "best" is what fits my mood and the anticipated shooting situation.

My favorite used to be Kodak Plus-X, but they stopped making it, I don't really have a new favorite.

19. Lee Rust

Lee Rust Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My lizard-brain light meter is permanently set to iso 400, so for color...Portra 400, for B&W...Tri-X.

However, if Ektachrome ever re-appears I'll try that in cameras with faster lenses.

20. Dali

Dali Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know what you mean by "best" but my favorite film is Tri-X.

21. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best for color, Ektachrome 100 Plus Professional. Favorite for color, Kodachrome 25.
    Best for B&W, Panatomic X. Favorite for B&W, Tmax 100 followed very closely by TriX sheet.

22. LeftCoastKid

LeftCoastKid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best for color (for me, this depends upon the subject matter at hand): E100G/VS; Favorite for color (sigh, tears well up...): Kodachrome 25
    Best for black and white: Tri-X/HP5+; Favorite for black and white: PanF+ (latent image decay issue is a non-issue for m), FP4+, Tri-X/HP5+.

23. msage

msage Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Tri-x, Tmax and HIE. In 120 or 4x5. They alternate between best and favorite!
    Yes, I know it is three but I can't choose.

24. Svenedin

Svenedin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Of currently available films I rate Kodak TMax 100 as the best (technically) and Ilford FP4 as my favourite (because I like how it looks). Having said that I usually use 400 speed films due to the unpredictable light in the UK (TMax 400 and HP5).

25. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My favourite film is fresh HIE, but since it’s no longer around I would say either HP5+ or Delta 400 or Acros. As for best, well, for me it’s the right film for the right situation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.