Best camera to start tintype photography?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Aliensinmylatte, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Aliensinmylatte

Aliensinmylatte Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello guys! Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
    I'm wondering if you guys could possibly tell me what the best field camera to start tintype photography would be? I'm 18, so money is somewhat tight
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    hello

you might start small and work your way to big. bostick and sullivan ( suppliers of alternative process chemistry )
    http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/48/wet-plate-collodion-kits/
    used to sell KITS for tintype work, which included a kodak box camera. they enameled / lacquered ( or something )
    the inside metal so it would not react with the silver plate. you would be surprised how LARGE some of the old roll film
    box camera images were, and the beautiful thing about starting with one of those cameras is they are a bit more portable
    and coating the plate is easier sometimes if you use a small camera.
    something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-ca...749381?hash=item2f156a46c5:g:qrUAAOSwryBafP9f
    doesn't cost very much, has vintage optics and if your chemistry won't corrode the metal parts.
    you can find bostick and sullivan's phone number on their website ( see link ) maybe they can let you know
    the type of camera they used to ( or still ) sell.

have fun !

ps. there are people who also use stuff like HOLGAS to shoot tintypes with, in the end, a camera is just a box

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  3. keenmaster486

keenmaster486 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You might try dealing with the aliens in your latte first...

Jokes aside, I've used a Kodak Brownie box camera in the past, which worked very well - it was a later model 2A which was large enough and very robust.

Really, any camera that you can cut your tintype to size and fit it inside will work fine, as long as it's big enough for your tastes.

4. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    https://www.freestylephoto.biz/search?q=tintype
    Look at these kits.
    A 2x3 (2 1/4 x 3 1/4), 3x4,(3 1/4 x 4 1/4) or 4x5 press or reflex camera with one or two holders would be an easy to use choice. Crown Graphic, Century Graphic, Graflex Series B, Series D, Super D, Busch Pressman.

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    hi shutterfinger
    the rockland kit they sell at freestyle has nothing to do with collodion tintypes. the rockland kit is for
    silver gelatin tintypes, still fun a bit more finicky than collodion tintypes, and you unfortunately don't need
    to lug your darktoom around or get light headed from ether fumes, with you which seems like half the fun of wet plate work.. :wink:

6. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I don't know jack about tintypes other than what they are, (grandparents had one, young woman unknown, partially faded)
    It still fits the OP's question and gives more options.

7. williaty

williaty Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I found it was easy to start at 4x5 to make tintypes. Adapting a Graflex 1234 film holder to hold a plate instead is quite easy and VERY cheap. One of the new Intrepid 4x5 cameras or a Crown Graphic would make for a cheap camera. Add a cheap old lens from ebay and you're set up to take plates in a system that will allow you to grow easily if you get more serious about it.