Threads
Members
Latest member
stiglet
Recent bookmarks

18percentgrey

Shooter
35mm
Picked up a older Super Cambo 4”x5”recently. Has a 150mm lens but bellows only contracts to 7” with tripod mount in center. I can remove tripod mount and replace it to rear or front of bellows adjustments in order to compress bellows for infinity (6”) bought a recessed lens mount but opening is too small?Is this normal? Which lenes were intended for the recessed mount? Thank you

Attachments

• B119A35A-B7E0-4531-B6C1-6E9C8737B33F.jpeg
    B119A35A-B7E0-4531-B6C1-6E9C8737B33F.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 35F088C9-9A12-47AC-AC7B-77FD2BAB0A66.jpeg
    35F088C9-9A12-47AC-AC7B-77FD2BAB0A66.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 1434EC40-28E8-4639-9D25-0C93334D9635.jpeg
    1434EC40-28E8-4639-9D25-0C93334D9635.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 39

FotoD

Shooter
Analog
What happens if you unhook the bellows and turn the front standard 180°?

OP
OP

18percentgrey

Shooter
35mm
What happens if you unhook the bellows and turn the front standard 180°?

Thank you, I think you hit the nail on the head. Looking at an old instruction brochure, I had the standards backwards. This camera looks like it has seen a lot of use(and abuse) I am happy to bring life back to it.see attached

Attachments

• 6B79A5B4-E475-462B-826E-72206F6EAFD0.jpeg
    6B79A5B4-E475-462B-826E-72206F6EAFD0.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 28

FeS2

Shooter
Large Format Pan
Look for a short angled cable release adapter.
Made just for this application...

Mal Paso

Shooter
4x5 Format
The recessed lens boards come with holes for the various size Shutters. If you work well with metal you can enlarge the hole. If not find one with the right hole size on ebay. There are only a few sizes of shutters.

I used a 65mm for years with a recessed lens board on a Cambo SC and the rear standard forward of the rail mount, 21" rail poking back out of the picture. If you reverse the rear standard you can only take vertical pictures.

Cambo is a building block and can be assembled however you like to get the picture. Here is a Cambo SF with 2 bellows and 3 rails.

Attachments

• 1200mm.jpg
    1200mm.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format
Hmm. To get less extension, remove the tripod mounting block and reattach it at the front end of the rail. Slide the front standard as far forward as it will to, i.e., until it hits the tripod mounting block. If you need less extension still, get a bag bellows and again put the tripod mounting block in front of the front standard.

Nicholas Lindan

Advertiser
Advertiser
Shooter
Multi Format
Look for a short angled cable release adapter.
Made just for this application...
Oh, gawd... I struggled for years with a "Graphic View" (original or I) camera, a recessed lensboard, a right angled release and bellows compressed to the point of solidity.

Salvation came in the form of a Sinar-F with a bag bellows and a nice Nikon cable release.

My advice is to sell the recessed board and find a bag bellows for your Cambo.

Mal Paso

Shooter
4x5 Format
I struggled for years with an f8 65mm, try focusing that in low light.

My new 65 is on a recessed lensboard too and that really throws swings and tilts off. The lens is centered (front to back) better on a flat lensboard. A flat lensboard will work for 65mm on my SF but not my SC.

For short lenses on my SC I like both standards forward of the tripod mounting block.

I found a set of bag bellows for $25, they are out there.

grat

Shooter
Multi Format
The Cambo SC2 does feel like someone gave you a kit, rather than a camera. It's just a bunch of modules that you can arrange.

Side note-- anyone know if a pop-out hood was made that would go on the ground glass? I've got one on my Chamonix, and it's spoiled me a bit.

Mal Paso

Shooter
4x5 Format
The Cambo SC2 does feel like someone gave you a kit, rather than a camera. It's just a bunch of modules that you can arrange.

Side note-- anyone know if a pop-out hood was made that would go on the ground glass? I've got one on my Chamonix, and it's spoiled me a bit.

I don't think so but I have the reflex hood with a mirror and magnifier. I'll bet you could fit a folding hood from another manufacturer if you wanted. Maybe Sinar?

Mal Paso

Shooter
4x5 Format
I totally forgot but Cambo makes a wire frame to support the dark cloth. It plugs into the 2 holes in the top of the standard. Part Number is 14/C4 but you could make one with piano wire.

Attachments

• Cambo01.jpg
    Cambo01.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 14

M Carter

Shooter
Medium Format
I totally forgot but Cambo makes a wire frame to support the dark cloth. It plugs into the 2 holes in the top of the standard. Part Number is 14/C4 but you could make one with piano wire.

So THAT'S what those holes are for!!!

M Carter

Shooter
Medium Format
Hmm. To get less extension, remove the tripod mounting block and reattach it at the front end of the rail. Slide the front standard as far forward as it will to, i.e., until it hits the tripod mounting block. If you need less extension still, get a bag bellows and again put the tripod mounting block in front of the front standard.

I'll one-up ya: I used to do that shooting wides, but you either had the rail in the shot, or stabbing your chest when you focused. Cambo SC's (at least) will work just fine on standard 1" extruded aluminum square tube, you don't need the fancy extruded shape of the factory rail. You can cut the stuff with a chop saw, and even order plastic caps online for it. Tiny little piece to keep in your kit if you shoot wides a lot (they did sell a short rail, and even a short-rail camera with a 90 Caltar , bag bellows and recessed board, those come up on Ebay... wish I'd bought one when it was a hundred bucks without the lens!)

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format
I'll one-up ya: I used to do that shooting wides, but you either had the rail in the shot, or stabbing your chest when you focused. Cambo SC's (at least) will work just fine on standard 1" extruded aluminum square tube, you don't need the fancy extruded shape of the factory rail. You can cut the stuff with a chop saw, and even order plastic caps online for it. Tiny little piece to keep in your kit if you shoot wides a lot (they did sell a short rail, and even a short-rail camera with a 90 Caltar , bag bellows and recessed board, those come up on Ebay... wish I'd bought one when it was a hundred bucks without the lens!)
Hmm. I use 80/20 t-slotted extrusion, but the square tubes you recommend work too.

I'm not aware of a short rail version of Cambo's SC line for use with w/a lenses, but the standard issue rail for the 2x3 SC-1 is a hair less than 12 long. Might you be thinking of the short rail Calumet CC-40x (402, IIRC)?

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format

The compendium shade also plugs into those holes.

Mal Paso

Shooter
4x5 Format
I have the compendium shade but wouldn't bother with the dark cloth frame. My head holds up the dark cloth plus I park it over the bellows, I had pinholes Once.

There are various lengths of SC Cambo factory rails, I have a 30".

My working years I used the 21" rail even with the 65mm. I was always in a corner with it, so the rail stuck back in the corner, front standard all the way forward, focus with the rear.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom