B&W 16mm reversal film came out clear! Why?

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Taylor Page, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Taylor Page

Taylor Page Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi guys,

I recently processed a test strip of Kodak B&W 16mm Tri-X 7266 and it keeps coming out clear after I take it out for re exposure! Clear, as in, no indicating marks what so ever. Completely blank. I'm using D19 + Potassium Thiocynate for the 1st developer and permanganate bleach for the bleach bath. Am I over or under developing? The tank is light tight and nothing is wrong with the camera or exposed roll. :blink::blink:

2. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Many years ago (at the school Camera Club !) we tried reversal processing B&W film. One of my friends left the film in the permanganate bleach for longer than the official time, with the result that the bleach bath completely removed the emulsion. Were there any traces of stripped or dissolved emulsion when you took the film out for re-exposure ?

3. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It will help others diagnose this if you give the formulas and times you are using, rather than just a broad description, the composition of the 1st dev in particular.
    D19 is uncommon - I don't think it can be purchased can it? - so presumably you are making it yourself. Any possible problems therein?

I'd also want to know that you're sure the film you're developing was exposed properly.

4. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As pdeeh commented, you need to provide more details about processing. Generally speaking, permanganate is not the preferred bleach.
    D19 hasn’t been available for the last few years, but easy to make. I even made it when available packaged because sometimes a gallon was more than needed.
    While the second developer time has a wide latitude, other times should be as accurate as possible. Temperatures also.
    Also, are you using fogging bath or reexposure?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.