Autobiographies

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by coldrobba, Feb 4, 2009.

1. coldrobba

coldrobba Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi,

I wondered if anyone has any suggestions on a few good Autobiographies by great photographers. I have read Helmut Newtons and thought this was one of the best books i've read so anything like this would be great.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Autobiographies.

3. votrepear

votrepear Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Even though it's not truly an autobiography the Day Books of Edward Weston is a very good read.

4. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love the Daybooks. I also read Ansel Adams' autobio yearly. For me it is good read. I'm in the middle of it right now.

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Auto biographies I've accumulated:
    Self Portrait, Man Ray
    Through another lens, Charis Wilson
    Focus, Beaumont Newhall
    And biographies:
    Henri Cartier Bresson, Margaret Bourke-White, Diane Arbus, Lee Miller, Man Ray, Tina Modotti, Stieglitz, Margarthe Mather & Edward Weston

6. Sportera

Sportera Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hekmet Newton's was a great read, and I agree about Charis Wilson's book Ive read it twice. Ansel's was a good read, but Weston's Daybooks was a great soap opera of love and art.

7. OP
    OP
    coldrobba

coldrobba Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for all the replies I think I’m going to pick up Through another lens by Charis Wilson & Self Portrait by Man Ray first and then look to work through the other recommendations.

8. OP
    OP
    coldrobba

coldrobba Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Old thread but rather than open a new one i thought i would post it back in here. Anyway just read Robert Capa Slightly Out of Focus, Excellent.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.