Anyone using a scanner as densitometer?

Discussion in 'Scanning and Scanners' started by bvy, Mar 26, 2018.

1. bvy

bvy Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If so, what's your workflow? I have a V500 scanner, a calibrated transparency step wedge, and an 18% gray card. I'm looking for a simple way to gauge density in my black and white negatives. I don't need lab precision, but I do want something quantifiable and fairly consistent. (Ideally I know I'd have a wedge or target on the same film base I was testing, but I'm willing to make some sacrifices.)

Thanks.

2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    Don't ask me, I'm so analogue I'm having trouble using my V600 as a scanner :smile:

3. Kino

Kino Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Without custom profiles for each filmstock, you're not going to get meaningful densities from a simple scan.

Scanners are linear/arithmetic imaging devices; negative densities are measured in logarithmic units.

You'd be better served grabbing one of these for basic density measurements...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kodak-Color-Densitometer-Model-1/123034003911?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=50998&meid=9aaa592d3c5c4bf797c87ae0a67a3c53&pid=100011&rk=2&rkt=2&sd=263343457222&itm=123034003911&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

4. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  5. Ted Baker

Ted Baker Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Its reasonably straight forward as the CCD is mostly linear. You will need to switch to raw, or remove the gamma (which you can do with a calculator). What software are you using? Do you have a step wedge to compare and calibrate? Depending on your answer will try and write some instructions.

6. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What are you using it for? I had an Xrite 301 densitometer and sold it because I had no use for such precise equipment, but did have a use for the money it brought in and the space it was taking up. These days, I use my flatbed scanner and Photoshop for measuring densities. But I use it for making curves for alternative processes. So in my case, I only needed relative consistency, not empirical accuracy. So long as my results were repeatable and predictable, it didn't matter if my scans were off. For darkroom wet prints, I'm plenty happy with trusting my own eyes. So the best way to go about this will depend on what you're needing to do with this information.

7. Adrian Bacon

Adrian Bacon Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. It’s fairly straight-forward. You need a way to get the average value of an area of pixels. I use a piece of custom software that I wrote that sucks in 16 bit tiff files and spits out the average r,g,b values of an area that I pass in.

The other part is you need to be able to get the raw linear scan data with no gamma correction applied. Vuescan is good for this if using a flatbed, if using a dslr, dcraw is good.

Once you have that, it’s just a matter of converting from linear to log. Assuming 16 bits, 65535 is 0.0, 32767 is 0.3, 16383 is 0.6, etc.

8. Serg Lavrenchuk

Serg Lavrenchuk Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Serg Lavrenchuk

Serg Lavrenchuk Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Links to exl. file are dead ;(
    I have in a lab these files stored. If you undestand the system + have 21 step tablet = I could send it to email.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.