Anyone processing Tmax400 with XTOL 1:1?

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad
Recent bookmarks

tkamiya

Shooter
Multi Format
I would like to do a sanity check.

I shoot Kodak Tmax-400. Then, process it with XTOL. So far, I seem to get good result when I dilute XTOL 1:1, and develop with it anywhere between 5 minutes 36 seconds, and 6 minutes even at 75 degree F.

Using small tank, I agitate 5 cycles for the first 30 seconds, then 2 cycles every 30 seconds there after. (based on J-109)

Since I use Condenser enlarger, I reduced the development time from standard Kodak published figure of 7 minutes for this dilution and temperature. (Kodak's literature F-4043 says to do this but doesn't give a figure for XTOL 1:1)

I'd interested in hearing other people's experience with this combination.

Thank you.

OP
OP

tkamiya

Shooter
Multi Format
According to Kodak doc F-4043 for Tmax 400, page 4 says XTOL (1:1) at 75F is 7 minutes even. If you look back on page 3 under heading "Processing," it says for Condenser enlarger, "you may need to adjust the contrast by reducing your development time; see "Adjusting Film Contrast". This leads to page 8.

Here, compensation table is given but data for XTOL or XTOL (1:1) is missing. Under the heading "Contrast Adjustment", please see Note:... it says "These tables apply to.... diffusion... If you use condenser enlarger, shift... to left." Since a hard data is missing, I guessed 20%.

If you take 7 minutes and convert it to seconds, you get 420. Take 80% of it and get 336 seconds. Convert that back to minutes and seconds, you get 5 minutes and 36 seconds.

OP
OP

tkamiya

Shooter
Multi Format
That's true... telling MY result would help, wouldn't it.

My results were GOOD. At 5 minutes and 36 seconds, the negative came out slightly on lite side. At 6 minutes even, it came out just slightly on dark side. I think, I'm going to do 5 minutes and 50 seconds next. (yes, I know... just a degree of temp difference or exposure difference can easily account for this result...)

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom