Anyone have a scan from a .dr5 process pls?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by dwdmguy, Feb 23, 2009.

1. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm thinking about have a roll with a upcoming portrait shoot sent to have processed in dr5 chrome...
    Does anyone have a scan of one please? If not, can you share your exp. with the final product?

Thanks tons.
    Tom

2. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have any scans, been meaning to dig up those rolls & scan some frames. I had some done by him a couple of years back, Plus-X & HP5. They look great, just like the scans on his site. I rated the HP5 at something like 1600 as he recommends & it had good detail & tonal range. I haven't done more with him because I live in Sydney & it can get expensive with international post & exchange rates (currently $1 USD = $1.54 AUD).

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have a look at Gavin Smith's work here "Coigach" on this site, he uses dr5 regularly and scans the images.

Ian

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Look at the examples on the dr5 website. They're all scanned in a consistent way to show how different films look in the process. He used to have a brochure where he included an actual B&W transparency. You might see if that is still available.

5. OP
    OP
    dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ian, I took a look at Colgach's site. All his photos look the same there. I did see the ones that were .dr5 processed and they just don't look that different to me. I'm sure on the lightbox it would be different.
    David, the samples he has on his site are much too small.
    Thanks tons guys.
    Tom

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom, only you can decide whether you go down the route of using B&W transparencies or use a conventional neg/pos process.

The cost of shooting a test roll is worthwhile. If you don't have a darkroom using dr5 or another B&W reversal process (which essentially means doing your own) is a viable option.

Ian

7. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have this image in my on-line portfolio. This was done in DR5 process from 120 roll film Ilford HP5+ shot with a Linhof Super Rollex back on a 4x5 camera. Overall I liked the results. Be sure to specify shipping method, because the costs can vary widely on shipping film back to you.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

8. ldhayden

ldhayden Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Check these out. All of them are done in dr5.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ldhayden/tags/dr5/

Let me know if you have any questions. I used dr5 on a regular basis for awhile but have gone back to developing my own work. David Wood does a great job and is very helpful when you need it.

Larry

9. AutumnJazz

AutumnJazz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I shoot DR5 on and off. Sometimes I want to just be able to look at a positive, but mostly I just develop and scan negs.