Recent bookmarks
OP
OP
GregY

GregY

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
I used the silver metal Color Skopar 28mm and it's viewfinder, as my daily carry lens for my IIIC, and liked the way it rendered a scene, very much.

It's on my short rebuy list of gear, in my bucket list.

Older lenses can be great, however, poor focus and blurry edges in a "normal" lens, other than special purpose use, does no make a lot of sense to me if I'm trying to build a bag of quality results kit and especially on a tight Budget.

IMO.

We'll see. As far as a tight budget... the color-skopar left that far behind. Some are turning up with fungus these days too.... but maybe someone will sell me one for $10 😉

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
We'll see. As far as a tight budget... the color-skopar left that far behind. Some are turning up with fungus these days too.... but maybe someone will sell me one for $10 😉

Or buy one cheap with fungus and clean it up yourself.

cullah

Subscriber
I'm considering adding a 28mm lens to my Leica M. Usually I go from 21 to 35mm. Over the years I've used a number of Leica 28mm, as well as the Canon 25 and several Voigtlander 28mm f3.5. 28mm is not a focal length i'd use often, and given the cost of the Color-Skopar these days, I thought I'd consider the Canon. Also it might be a plus to have the lower contrast of the Canon vis-a-vis the Color-Skopar. Any comments on the Canon 28mm screw mounts from users, current or past?
I had the canon 28mm 3.5 Serenar ltm 3.5. It wasn't very sharp, especially the edges. Contrast was so-so. I was glad to get rid of it.
Best of luck
Peter

OP
OP
GregY

GregY

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Here are a couple of test photos (7"x9") with my recently acquired Canon 28mm f2.8 LTM. It's pretty much as described.... soft wide open and sharpens up rapidly. These two photos are at f8. I was burning off some older Arista 400 film no filter, Pyrocat HD, prints on Ilford Classic FB. I like the way the lens separates the tones in the rusty artwork. I'm looking forward to some better light once january is over and making some more meaningful photographs with both FP4 & TMY-2, i can enlarge to 11x14" to see the results.
I doubt i'll use it wide open except in a pinch when the light is low. The lens vignettes wide open, so my 40-40.5 step up ring and lenshood don't work. I just ordered a 40mm medium yellow filter from Fotoimpex....no one else seems to have 40mm. except a very few old Canon filters on Ebay.
IMG_6842.JPG
IMG_6843.JPG

Last edited:

Craig

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
That's a great shot of the Three Sisters. Seems like there is plenty of contrast there.

OP
OP
GregY

GregY

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
That's a great shot of the Three Sisters. Seems like there is plenty of contrast there.

Thanks Craig, i'm happy with the lens... tiny, in fine condition. It will fill the bill for the occasions i need that focal lens

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom