Anybody here use a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super BC?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Clumsy Eddie, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great information Brett. Thanks for sharing this.

2. Brett Rogers

Brett Rogers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome. It would be good to see a few more of these under-rated cameras in regular use. I concede they're not really the best configuration to tackle if someone is new to camera repair, but at the same time I don't think they're the diabolical nightmares to work on that many people seem to think they are. Voigtlander's Bessamatic lens shutter SLR is a delightful and beautifully made camera with which to photograph, but also one that's much more involved to reach the shutter on for the usual servicing needs any Synchro Compur will eventually have. By comparison the Contaflexes are much easier.
    Cheers,
    Brett

3. louarnold

louarnold Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    Well, I have a Contaflex Super B. Some 20 years ago, some salt water hit it on the right-hand side from a whale tank. I was on vacation and could not soak it in fresh water. I called to have it overhauled (2nd time in 30 days), but they would guarantee nothing and again charge $350.
    The shutter is now frozen although almost all controls work to some extent. I immersed it in water and other things, but there is no change.
    Any ideas to help?
    I have nothing to lose by opening it, but things are awful small and I'm 65 yo. Anyone have a repair manual?

4. Germanicus

Germanicus Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Zeiss Contaflax Super BC is just a fantastic camera. I have two or three. I just have not used them lately, in years! I'm terrified that they might not work. I am concerned about the built-in light meter but most of all about the timing on the shutter. I'm not a technical guy, but timing is everything, right. You don't want to shoot at 250 when you are supposed to shoot at 125. Of course, in full auto mode, that depends on the light meter. Everything has got to work. You've got to have confidence in the camera. In the old days, I would send the camera out to get checked and serviced by a German who lived in one of the southern states; I must till have the correspondence. That man most likely is retired or is an angel. I need to find a replacement. Does anybody have an idea?

5. nosmok

nosmok Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can't speak to the Super BC, but a Contaflex Prima was the first camera I ever bought for myself! My grandpa gave me his Zeiss Contina III with all the interchangeable front lens elements (30mm wide and 75mm tele); when I saw that the Prima took those same front elements I jumped. Haven't used it in years-- just not a reflex guy, but some of those 30 year old negatives print up at 11"x14" beautifully, so I should probably drag it out again. I remember loving the VF, and hating the EV exposure system; as of 1995, the Selenium meter was still accurate. The Prima was a lot more reliable than the Contina III -- difference is btw the Compur shutter on the Prima and the Prontor on the 'tina. IIRC Zeiss actually DID NOT make these interchangeable front element lenses-- Rodenstock did it for them. And they did a bang-up job. The part of grandpa's system I still use is the brightline multi-viewfinder for those Contina lenses-- bright, crisp, parallax corrected and compact.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.