Any interest in Beseler type 23 glass negative holders?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Digger Odell, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Digger Odell

Digger Odell Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello everyone,

I am thinking about making some all glass negative carriers. These would be 1/8” thick glass cut out into approximately the beseler negative carrier shape, then masked and aluminum oxide blasted for texture and “tooth” for paint/glue. With a “high quality” replaceable/removable hinge (gorilla tape) -- Hey its high-quality duct tape!

The bottom will have a machined PVC ring attached with epoxy to the bottom for location and rotation. The bottom is universal and useable with any top piece. (the reason for the fancy hinge!) The top piece would be masked for negative size and oxide blasted and painted flat black, 35mm, 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, and custom masks also no mask/mask you’re own, would be available. No pins for negative aligning would be available to start with.

I have many years of manufacturing experience and these would turn out to be professional looking, with the exception of the hinge. If this goes well I could foresee making these for other enlargers also but I only have a 23c ii for a template.

So, the question is, would you folks be interested in buying some of these? I think the bottom piece would be $38.00 and top pieces $29.00. (no mask 23.00). If I could get firm interest in 40 pieces total top and bottom, this would be do-able. Shipping would be a flat rate box ($13.65) I am on eBay as Macguyver909 if you want to check me out. Also, I would like to hear any suggestions for a better hinge or other improvements.

If you would buy this please state so in your reply post, IF there is enough interest I will move forward with manufacturing these. No money would be due until I have product in stock.

2. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I realize you probably own the Model 23, and so are making Those Neg Holders.....But i am just curious, would it be anymore difficult to make the Neg Carriers for the Beseler 45.?
    Thank You

3. OP
    OP
    Digger Odell

Digger Odell Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Probably not any harder, maybe a little more material cost. I have never seen a 45 in person so I'm not real sure.

4. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sounds like a great idea

5. winger

winger Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you could do it so the person could buy one top piece and switch masks, I might be interested. I have, um, a few different cameras and different neg sizes. Also, I may have a spare 45MX carrier if you need a template for that (which might interest me more, though I have both).

6. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Beseler made (makes?) a glass carrier for the 45, it does not have masks for smaller formats though. I have to make them myself, black tape does the trick.

7. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How would it be any different from the factory glass carrier for the 23C - 8072 Universal Glass anti-newton carrier? I bought one years ago and use it for my 6x9 sheet film & roll film when I get curl issues.

I just looked at B&H and the 8072 glass carrier is now $ 292.50 !!!!!!!! Yikes!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...072_Universal_Anti_Newton_Glass_Negative.html

I have a couple of pages on the Beseler 23C:

http://oresteen.com/bess23c.htm

http://oresteen.com/Bess23C_conv parts.htm

What I do need are some carriers for the Beseler 5x7 enlarger. PM me if you want to to give them a try.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.