Antique camera identification, please save my hair, I'm pulling it out.

Malibu

A
Malibu

Rockwood Park-4

A
Rockwood Park-4

Enamored

A
Enamored

Kea'au Bike Flower

A
Kea'au Bike Flower

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gigidamico
Recent bookmarks

hamishunger

Shooter
35mm
Hello, I'm new to this site. I'm not sure if this site is the right place for me, basically I am find myself becoming more and more immersed in antique cameras - I am learning a lot but I have a long road ahead of me. Could somebody here please help me to identify this J L Lancaster 1/2 plate camera? I have searched all over the internet and I haven't been able to find a match, it's either quite a unique model or some kind of horrific Frankenstein mash up. The ivory label on the body says it is "the 18?3 extra special patent."

Attachments

• IMG_4460.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    1,001.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4461.JPG
    IMG_4461.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4462.JPG
    IMG_4462.JPG
    672.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4464.JPG
    IMG_4464.JPG
    445.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4472.JPG
    IMG_4472.JPG
    697.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4469.JPG
    IMG_4469.JPG
    313.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome to Photrio and good luck with your quest.
Images need to be moderate in size - maximum 2mb, but preferably smaller - in order to be uploaded here. Some images may need to be re-sized first.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
;

Welcome to APUG Photrio!!

gordrob

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It looks like a Lancaster "Extra Special" Field Camera. They came in a variety of plate sizes 3¼×4¼, 4¾×6½, 8½×6½, 8x10, 10x12, 12x15''. It should have triple extention bellows and was manufactures between 1890 and 1900

OP
OP

hamishunger

Shooter
35mm
It looks like a Lancaster "Extra Special" Field Camera. They came in a variety of plate sizes 3¼×4¼, 4¾×6½, 8½×6½, 8x10, 10x12, 12x15''. It should have triple extention bellows and was manufactures between 1890 and 1900

OP
OP

hamishunger

Shooter
35mm
Thank you so much, I eventually found a website that led me to the same conclusion. What baffled me originally was that this camera has a Thorton Pickard stamped fixing on it. What is the connection between TP and J L Lancaster I know they they made very similar cameras? Any idea what the fixing is for?

IMG_4613.jpeg

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
There was no connection, these Thornton Pickard levels could be bought separately, it's been added later. With the camera on a tripod it tells you if the camera is level. The Patent is 1893.

What's unusual is the Lancaster "Extra Special" Field Camera uses a tongue and groove extension system, this is one of the hallmarks of most German Reisekameras.

Ian

• jnk
  • Deleted
OP
OP

hamishunger

Shooter
35mm
There was no connection, these Thornton Pickard levels could be bought separately, it's been added later. With the camera on a tripod it tells you if the camera is level. The Patent is 1893.

What's unusual is the Lancaster "Extra Special" Field Camera uses a tongue and groove extension system, this is one of the hallmarks of most German Reisekameras.

Ian

OP
OP

hamishunger

Shooter
35mm
This is all news to me, thank you for sharing some of your expert knowledge!

jnk

Shooter
Hybrid
hamishunger
there is a library of historic cameras at historic cameras dot com .. I think it had images of yours but it is hard to tell. if you find yourself with other historic cameras you might be able to find catalog and modern images on that site to match up what you have it is a helpful site. I might be confusing it with another site but I think it also has sales information too so you can gawk at high or low prices. there used to be one for box cameras that had falling plate, brownie type and other unfocusable cameras found at box cameras dot com. you will have to use the internet archive to find that website it is gone.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Be careful with the "historic cameras dot com" link.
Our security controls block posts links to it, and if you make your way to the site (carefully) it is absolutely full of click bait and other problematic issues.

jnk

Shooter
Hybrid
Our security controls block posts links to it, and if you make your way to the site (carefully) it is absolutely full of click bait and other problematic issues.

my-bad. I was just there and didn't get any nefarious content, glad you caught it.

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format

The website has changes for the worse, it didn't use to be like this. I have Total Adblock enabled and this shields me to a large extant. It's never been a worthwhile as in useful website anyway.

Ian

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom