Ansel Adams in London

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Alan Johnson, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get a chuckle when I see them called Parmelian prints. A made up word to hide the fact that they are photographic prints. Kind of like how some digital workers call their inkjet prints, Giclee prints.

2. mark

mark Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Parmelian was the title of the portfolio. Flowery title, yes, but I see no reason that it should be construed as a means to hide something.

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    I'm sure they are wonderful prints to see in the flesh, but I can't see me travelling four hundred miles round trip on Christmas Eve to see them.

4. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was meant to hide the fact that Ansel's prints were made photographically. The word was coined by his benefactor, Albert Bender. He felt that they wouldn't sell if they were called what they were.

5. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What? Everyone knows AA was a photographer. If they weren't photographic prints, what would they be? What is the intended implication by obscuring the true nature of the prints?

6. mark

mark Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

I had no idea. I am familiar with the portfolio and assumed it was just a title unifying the images.

7. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    You can always visit AFTER Christmas, as the exhibition is on until 02 Feb 2019. :D

Terry S

8. cowanw

cowanw Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    in 1927 comparatively few knew Ansel Adams let alone that he was a photographer.
    The title of the portfolio was problematic to Adams. The term "parmelian" was a meaningless word invented by Moore, who believed that calling them "photographic prints" would not allow them to be taken seriously as art.[4] Adams later said "I am not proud at allowing this breach of faith in my medium."[3] To add to his chagrin, the word "Sierras" was also wrong. According to Adams, "The name Sierra is already a plural. To add an s is a linguistic, Californian, and mountaineering sin."
    Ansel Adams: An Autobiography

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    I can't see me travelling four hundred miles round trip at any date to see anyone's prints.:cool:

10. Alan Edward Klein

Alan Edward Klein Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think it's terrific that Europeans have a chance to see the work of one of America's great photographers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.