Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnmcc
Recent bookmarks

Red Tractors

Shooter
Multi Format
Not regularly a Nikon shooter, but I do enjoy my FM. Would like to find a useable 50mm to replace the broken one it came with.

1.8/2.0/series E, whatever is decent and affordable.

I was working a trade for one with another forum member, but the 3-1/4 X 4-1/4 film holders I had are lost somewhere.

trythis

Shooter
35mm
Consider an E series 50mm 1.8. Much cheaper and quite a decent lens

Fixcinater

Shooter
Medium Format
Would my 55/3.5 Micro be suitable?

See my ad here: (there was a url link here which no longer exists)

Maiku2008

Shooter
35mm
I sent a message about a lens. My sent box is empty. Did you get the message? If not please send me a PM.

NedL

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I'm no expert, but I recently got the 50mm f/2 AI. I like it very much and it was not expensive. It has very nice smooth and fine focus. Depends what you want to use it for whether you need something faster.

r-brian

Shooter
DSLR
I have an extra 50mm f1.4 Ai. I really don't need 2 of them. I'm not sure what you are considering as 'affordable' but I know I can give you an affordable price for a f1.4, but definitely not as inexpensive as a Series E or so.

OP
OP

Red Tractors

Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks folks, going to hold off for now and do some more research.

I know what I want now, but I'm not sure how much I "need" it.

clayne

Shooter
Multi Format
KEH has bargain deals for ~100$ for the 50/1.4 AI(s). I'd say that's pretty affordable for this lens.

OP
OP

Red Tractors

Shooter
Multi Format
Just thought I would tie up the thread with how I resolved it.

Stopped by the local camera store and spotted a decent looking FM (chrome) with a clean 50/1.8 E Went back today and picked it up. $50 later I have another working (meter works!) FM.

Went home and pulled out the broken 50/2.0 to swap the Skylight filter over. Strangely as I loosened the filter a good portion of the front of lens came out with it. With nothing to lose I turned the lens over and the inner barrel slid out.

Long story short, at some point someone must have partially disassembled the lens and misaligned the pins that control the aperture and metering. Fifteen minutes of tinkering later I have a fully working 50mm/F:2.

Xmas

Shooter
35mm RF
You really need a FG or EM as a backup...:tongue:

But well done.

OP
OP

Red Tractors

Shooter
Multi Format
Well Now I have two FM's and an FE. All as backups to my Pentax kit.

Which are backups for my EOS film bodies...

And if I get bored I have a decent, M42 kit, Zenit EM's, Spotmatics, and a couple of Argus STL's.

My film SLR bullpen is pretty dang deep....

Xmas

Shooter
35mm RF
eek

I got two F2, a FM2n, three FG and one FG20.

It takes me longer to reassamble the aperture couplings but some are easier than others.

John_Nikon_F

Shooter
Multi Format
Well Now I have two FM's and an FE. All as backups to my Pentax kit.

Which are backups for my EOS film bodies...

And if I get bored I have a decent, M42 kit, Zenit EM's, Spotmatics, and a couple of Argus STL's.

My film SLR bullpen is pretty dang deep....

Just need to add some MD-mount gear... ;-)

In all seriousness, consider getting a MD-12 for use with the bodies, if you don't have one already. The 20 second meter shutoff is kinda nice. Plus, the fact that the advance lever isn't always stabbing you in the eye.

-J

Xmas

Shooter
35mm RF

In all seriousness, consider getting a MD-12 for use with the bodies, if you don't have one already. The 20 second meter shutoff is kinda nice. Plus, the fact that the advance lever isn't always stabbing you in the eye.

-J

Or a MD-14 for the FG-20s my FGs seem to tolerate the motor ok and the FG/FG-20 chassis is in common

I prefer the ugly sister series E /1.8 handling to the long nose AIs or pancake AIs Cinderellas.

OP
OP

Red Tractors

Shooter
Multi Format

-J

Funny you should say that.

I started out with an X-370! (My first one still works) Still have the MD stuff, but I switched systems due to Minolta's legendary un-reliability.

I do have an MD-12 grip for the Nikons, I use it on occasion.

John_Nikon_F

Shooter
Multi Format
Funny you should say that.

I started out with an X-370! (My first one still works) Still have the MD stuff, but I switched systems due to Minolta's legendary un-reliability.

I do have an MD-12 grip for the Nikons, I use it on occasion.

lol, sounds like you're all set, then... Yeah, I think the X series wasn't as reliable as the old SR and SRT bodies. The XK and some of the earlier X series cameras (XD-11, XE series, etc) were fairly decent, reliability-wise.

-J

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom