Am I Supposed to "Like" Photographs Because Many Others Do?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Arklatexian, Oct 31, 2018.

1. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reported and soon to be added to the ignore list.

2. jnantz

jnantz Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that's kind of creepy ... dead bodies of people or other animals ? i'd be worried they'd turn into the undead and start wandering around ..

i know, maybe its north carolina that has the militant lunatic elitist gallery owners ?
    none of the ones i have ever met have been anything close to that.

3. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Francis Ford Coppola ran into a lot of trouble with Philippine govt when he started to hang dead bodies from trees for "Apocalypse Now".

...and there's this famous, hour-long sequence in Louis Malle's "Phantom India."

4. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So long as you can articulate why you like or don't like something as a reasoned argument, then you're opinion is yours to enjoy. Art scholars shouldn't expect everyone to have the same opinion, and they shouldn't criticize you for forming a unique, even unconventional one. However, if you can't explain precisely why you like or don't like something then you'll get mocked and your opinion will be ignored.

Saying you like the colors of a photo, the beat of a song, the taste of a glass of wine, or the words of a poem is a quick way to label yourself as ignorant and get your opinion scoffed. But if you can say what it is about the colors that you like, or what part of the beat you find interesting, or what notes of the wine are exciting you, or what imagery the words conjure, then you're opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

That's the thing most people don't understand about experts. It's not that their opinions are correct and the opinions of the layperson are wrong. It's that their opinions are well informed and thought out and the laypersons are just reactionary impulses.

5. jnantz

jnantz Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    and if the expert has "published criticism / opinion" it adds to an ongoing conversation that has been going on
    for a long time regarding so and so's use of color or use religious icons or perspective ... or the historian's general
    distaste for german sunshine glass...
    some public and academic libraries have paid-access to scholarly articles, databases &c ..
    its the internet that laypeople don't really know about. experts spend years formulating opinions
    and researching and writing ...
    i'm not saying this to be snarky &c but parts of the film ratatouille
    relate to this conversation...

6. FujiLove

FujiLove Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a child growing up in the north of England in the early 80's, you would instantly hear the comment, "Ey up, here's David Bailey", every time you took your camera out. Used to really p*ss me off.

I'd take it as a massive compliment today :D

Regarding whether people know famous photographers...I think it depends on their hobbies, likes, social circle etc. much more than their age or country of birth. For instance, there are Depeche Mode fans the world over and many will be familiar with Anton Corbijn because of his work with them for more than thirty years. Who could forget Corbijn's video footage that was used on their Devotional tour in the 90's? That led me to checking out his photography, the other bands he's worked with, and more recently, even lith printing. Love his work.

Here's a documentary about his work on the tour...

WARNING to any ladies, gay guys or those wavering about their sexuality out there: this video features Dave Gahan gyrating on stage. You've been warned :wink:

7. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never heard of him. Guess you had to be there.

8. FujiLove

FujiLove Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anton is well worth checking out, especially if you're into portraiture. As well as Depeche Mode, he worked with U2, The Smiths, Bowie, The Rolling Stones, Nick Cave, R.E.M., Nirvana and many others. His movie directorial debut, 'Control', is also excellent (Ian Curtis biopic).

9. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do we make photographs for 'ourselves' ....or to have it "Liked" by any... (and hopefully) every one who looks at it ?
    After some 60+ years under the dark-cloth (many of which were spent a a "Pro" in a large "Institute of research", I had to record to film that which could be 'readily' observed by the scientific staff. Today, (In my retirement years), I now make photographs... but only for 'me' (perhaps hoping that any and all who take the time to 'look' and 'see' what I observed on the ground glass' while under the dark-cloth) might also 'like it ' after it was exposed to my choice of film then....when printed, matted, framed and hung on the wall.

Ken

10. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not being a professional photographer in any way I make photographs only for myself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.