1. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    SO WHO IS GOING TO THE SHOW IN New York?? YOU CAN LEARN MORE ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY IN A COUPLE OF DAYS BY WANDERING THROUGH THE SHOW...

2. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Peter - I am not going but Carissa who is my manager is going, we are doing a show of Gum over Palladiums at a Bushwick location friday and sat, and then she is taking some of our friends to the show. If you go to the Stephen Bulger Booth you will se a 60 inch x 80 inch Treeplanter from my good friend Rita Leistner, which is part of the large show I did for her last fall.
    I hate flying, and she is half my age and loves travel so she gets to go, Bobby just stays at the lab and makes prints.

Peter if you are in New York go to the friday evening opening.

3. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  4. OP
    OP
    Peter Schrager

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It only amazed me that we have threads 30 pages long about xtol or some other nonsense but when it comes to real photography not a soul to be seen...this site is just turning into a gear head proposition.
    This is a great opportunity to see lots of great art in one space...ok so there's no interest go back to the usual "how do I develop xyz"

5. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan

But what exactly did you contribute to a discussion other than bitching about no one posting in the thread?

I am sure lots of people were interested in going, but couldn't. A more productive approach to a conversation would have been what you saw while you were there that interested you... You after all started the thread. If you want people to talk, start it yourself.

Just a friendly suggestion.

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    so, how was it ??

i couldn't go, had pre planned ( months in advance ) obligations

7. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Rita's print at Bulgers Booth was out standing, Carissa and a few of my friends attended, everyone loved the show.

8. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    This has become a trend Peter, I remember when we announced the first APUG conference in 2006 there was lots of interest from the members here and advertisers.. this time around we do have a few interested individuals and if it wasn't for Phase One and Broncolor we would be in trouble with the advertisers... Ilford (Harmon) told us they are spending their money elsewhere on videos so we basically have taken a stance that we will go ahead with out the traditional manufactures of the stuff we use. ... I am quite surprised at this as all the shows associated with the conference is traditional wet materials but the manufacturers are not seeing our event as promising.
    I remember Ilford picked up the tab for 50 people at Kama Sutra restaurant at the first conference and did have a strong presence.

On Face Book though I find in a few short months quite a few more kindred souls...it probably is a sign of the times.. There are a lot of local APUG (Hybrid ) members in the GTA so I am sure we will have a good representation from this site but for sure the vibe is completely different from about 12years ago.
    I really believe the options for information is at a saturated level and people are finding different ways to get photo information, I am shocked at the talent base on some of the FB pages I am on and the old experts that never come here very prominent on this platform.

We did a show in Bushwick , and invited as many interested people to visit and frankly we saw 30 or so people, same in Washington and New Orleans.. Its painful to organize and not see interest but thats the world we live in.
    I hear AIPAD was incredible from the 5 or 6 people in my circle that went.

Now on to xtol vs rodinal... I need to get huge pumps on my posts.. I do not like either .. I am a PMK guy through and through and D76 for push films.

9. OP
    OP
    Peter Schrager

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Patrick I wasn't able to hence my interest in others comments

10. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Sorry Peter. I thought you went!

Yes there is a lack of discussion about the finer things in photography around here. Part of the problem is the less people know the more they think they know, and the more people know the less likely they are to share it because the first group will argue or attack them. With technical things there is a truth to them so there are some absolutes, but when you start talking about art, everyone thinks their opinion, however uninformed, is the right one....

I think the lack of interest in any forum or gathering is due to the inundation of information we have these days. That and more and more people are only interested in themselves. Sign of the times. I bet if Bob told everyone if they attended the conference, they could get a print hung in a gallery, or get another 1000 followers on Instagram, hundreds of people would show up. The other thing is everyone thinks they are an expert these days, 'cause you know, they read it on the internet. The true experts get ignored and the internet whizbangs who post on YouBoob get all the attention.

11. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is hard to discuss what you haven't seen. Flying up to New York and staying over for a couple of days is an expensive proposition for most. However, I am going to the Photrio Symposium in Toronto next month.

12. OP
    OP
    Peter Schrager

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Robert no offense taken
    I'm running another thread about my handmade book I sent into fotobookfestival/kassel
    Again basically no one here congratulated me for the effort or the inspiration...regardless I carry on and happily so!!
    One of the reasons I'm making books is to get away from photographer only groups..it will give me the opportunity to do book shows etc

13. OP
    OP
    Peter Schrager

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bob I regret not being able to attend. If you remember I was also a teacher at the first apug gathering. Unfortunately I'm in California and it's a little far...you are an amazing resource and a treasure of knowledge and insight for the analog world!! The people who attend will reap all the benefits!!

14. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am glad you are coming.. do not miss thurs night Red Light show, did you submit print for the show??

15. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Peter I remember.. I mixed you and Blansky up ...

16. OP
    OP
    Peter Schrager

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would be better if you mixed me up with bansky...now that guy is amazing!!

17. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF