Threads
Members
Latest member
adam m
Recent bookmarks

Tobywan

Shooter
Multi Format
About 40 years ago I had a Kodak Precision Enlarger that had interchangeable heads. The 4x5 head(B) had a glass negative carrier and below it was a unit with adjustable slides so you could mask for different sizes. Does anyone make anything similar today?

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have a masking stage for my Omega D3, sits over the carrier and can be masked down, my Federal 6X9 is also a glass carrier with red masks for 6X6 and 35mm, my Optuma 6X6 will adjust down to 35mm and in the past had a Durst with a similar negative carrier. Don't know if you can find a new in the box adjustable carrier. BTW I'm not a big fan, just a lot easier to use a negative carrier that matches the negative size being printed.

OP
OP

Tobywan

Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks, I'll check out LPL. I've been searching the auction sites for something. Ever since I gave a talk at the local historical society on film photography, I've had people asking me tp print old negatives that were their grandparents, great grandparents. I have a DeJur Versatile Professional enlarger(4x5) and take a piece of glass with masking tape to print them. I'm amazed how many different sizes there are. I can still kick myself for giving away the Kodak enlarger about 30 years ago. It had both the A and B heads as well as a copy attachment and was very stable for its size and weight.

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If you have a glass negative carrier you can make a set of masks from red paper or plastic. My 6X9 Federal came with a set for 6X6 and 35mm and it works rather well.

tedr1

Shooter
Multi Format
Certainly LPL has an adjustable mask for the 5x4 models, Canadian dealer KHB photographix is a good source for most things LPL. There is also a 5x4 adjustable mask by Omega which is similar but slightly too large for the LPL (I know I have one). These masks sit a little below the negative and are not in sharp focus hence although they are good for masking off areas that shouldn't be lit they are not ideal for creating cropped images. For that I have rolls of black self-adhesive tape ready and I mask off the glass of the carrier, which is closer to the negative and gives a cropped edge significantly sharper than the blades of the adjustable masks.

OP
OP

Tobywan

Shooter
Multi Format
I have been doing masking tape but am constantly changing it. I was discussing this with a friend that makes models and he suggested googling evergreen scale models. They sell materials and I found black polycarbonate 6"x12" sheets that are 0.010" thick. It is thin enough that it should be easy to cut and at 4 sheets for $5.99 I can make 8 masks.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom