Members
Latest member
Sh8n8h8n
Recent bookmarks

Raffay

Shooter
4x5 Format
Hi all,

Over the weekend I took two very nice portraits of cousins visiting. Later I realised that I took both the exposures on the same negative. Felt like killing myself but could not do anything, although I write on each side after taking a shot but somehow used the same side.

I want to know if there is anything I could do during development to save whatever I can.

Cheers

Raffay

OP
OP

Raffay

Shooter
4x5 Format
just go for it you may end up with a pleasant surprise.
hard to say until you soup the neg.

Thats what I am hoping, and the reason for this post. Technically, the first exposure must be way over exposed now because of double exposure. If the people in the second exposure are not overlapping then there might be some interesting results.

Cheers

Raffay

Shooter
4x5 Format
After years of photographing, I still do this occasionally; it's just that sometimes I'm not paying as much attention to things as I should...

Make sure you are turning the darkslides in your holders when you replace them after exposure so that the white side is out. That helps to more easily identify the exposed side. Numbering and keeping records of your shots helps a bit as well.

Best,

Doremus

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
If both exposures were right for the light conditions then isn't what happened exposure-wise only the equivalent of exposing the neg at half box speed which isn't a disaster and can be partially corrected by curtailing development time?

Of course there is no way to "cut out" the other figures and the backgrounds will be mixed up but depending on where the figures are on each neg they may be separate and the whole neg can be cropped to cut out as much as possible of the mixed up backgrounds.

There may be issues but it may be salvageable. A good printing exercise if nothing else

pentaxuser

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Rewind the film and shoot it again.

OP
OP

Raffay

Shooter
4x5 Format
Will be developing over the coming weekend, will share the results.

Cheers

Raffay

Shooter
35mm
I think I might be on to a record here, my mother in law found a few old undeveloped films, two of them looked like they weren't shot (leader was sticking out) so I shot them this year. Turns out my now wife shot them in university some 15 years ago and now there's pictures of our kids on the same film.

Goes to show how great the longevity of kodak consumer films is.
averadub.jpg
py3yzagu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
It would be nice if the OP would tell us or show us how the double exposed negative turned out.

pentaxuser

Bill Burk

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
Hi Raffay,

You would develop normally, and maybe have a pleasant surprise. Maybe two-headed cousins if you are lucky.

I personally don't shoot the other sheet, just in case I made a mistake about making a mistake, I don't want to compound the problem.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom