A Cautionary Tale ...

Discussion in 'Misc. Hybrid Discussions' started by StanMac, Sep 22, 2018.

1. StanMac

StanMac Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I learned an expensive lesson today - don't use a Pentax K to M42 adapter on an X-mount to Pentax K adapter. I thought I'd avoid having to buy an X-mount to M42 adapter by using a K to M42 adapter that I use on my Pentax cameras. However, when I tried to remove it from the X to K adapter, it wouldn't budge. Inspection revealed that the small spring latch on the K to M42 adapter will go on OK, but once on, the spring latch gets lodged behind the stop tab on the K-mount. No amount of pressure on the spring latch would allow it to be compressed enough so it would pass under the stp[ tab on the K-mount. I had to literally bend the spring latch away from its position in order to rotate the K to M42 adapter off the X to K adapter.

This experience was with a third-party Pentax K to M42 adapter - not a Pentax brand. I am reticent to try this with my OEM Pentax K to M42 adapter to see if the problem was with the third-party K to M42 adapter - it is a much pricier item than the latter.

It is strange in that the third-party adapter worked fine on a Pentax camera, but not so good on the K&F Concepts X to K mount adapter. Also, I had no problem using my Pentax lenses on the X to K adapter. However, after monkeying with the X to K adapter so much trying to get the K to M42 adapter off, I am reluctant to use the X to K adapter for fear of getting a lens hung up on it. So, I'm up for buying a replacement X to K adapter for my Fuji XE2S and tossing the one I've tinkered with trying to solve this dilemma. In addition, I'll have to buy an X to M42 adapter for my M42 lenses like I should have done to start with.

Lesson learned - Use a dedicated single purpose lens adapter for each lens mount you want to use - don't mix mount adapters together to avoid buying another adapter.

Stan

2. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Man that sucks! Thanks for the heads up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.