90mm f/5.6 for large format

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by fdonadio, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am looking for a 90mm for my Sinar. It doesn't need to be an f/4.5, nor any Apo or XL model, unless you want to be very easy on the price. :wink: I don't want a f/8 either, as it's a little difficult to focus at that aperture. f/5.6 seems to be the perfect balance of cost, image circle and ease of focusing on the GG.

I am looking for a Nikkor-SW, Fujinon SWD, Caltar HR or Super Angulon in a shutter — Copal, Prontor, whatever. I expect the shutter to fire accurately at all speeds. If I need to CLA the shutter, I would expect a good discount.

Cosmetically, it doesn't need to be too nice. A little ding here or there won't matter to me, unless the lens was dropped and/or banged hard.

Glass should be as good as possible, with no coating loss or visible scratches. Faint scratches caused by cleaning are acceptable, as long as they don't show up in pictures — usually, they don't show. No need to say, but: fungus and haze are unacceptable.

Front and rear caps are desired, but not mandatory. I can source caps easily around here.

I use Sinar boards and don't have any spare now. It doesn't need to be an original — I use those Chinese knock-offs and, although they are a tight fit, they work well.

Retaining ring is a must.

I can't spend more than $150 (USD). I know it's a tight budget, but there's also shipping and it won't be cheap. I really would like to spend less than that. Best offer gets my money.

I can only pay by PayPal and will cover PayPal fees if the seller demands it.

Waiting for offers until the 6th of April. Please, start a conversation.

Cheers,
    Flavio

2. OP
    OP
    fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thinking a little more about this, I realized $150 is low for one of these lenses.

I am now open to any price, but I can't guarantee I will be able to pay what you're asking. :wink:

Cheers,
    Flavio

3. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I might have a very nice 90mm f/6.8 Angulon available... will have to look. That may be too dark for your needs though.

Why not buy via eBay? You can probably find a nice f/5.6 Super Angulon for US$200-300.

4. OP
    OP
    fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    f/6.8 should be good enough. It's like half-stop slower than f/5.6. From specs, the image circle is not that much smaller.

I did look on eBay, but I have done business with a handful of people here and my experiences were all very positive.

Cheers,
    Flavio

5. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, let me have a look at what I've got.

6. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Flavio,

I can highly recommend the Fuji SWD 90/5.6.

Mine produces excellent results, quite equal to the higher-priced brands.

I consider myself to be quite picky when it comes to lens performance.
    Most of my lenses are Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S variety.

- Leigh

7. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Flavio, I owe you an apology. I thought I had a really nice 90mm Angulon here but I can't find it. I'm sorry.

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd suggest another option the 90mm f6.8 Grandagon N, these are superb lenses, good coverage.

The 90mm f6.8 Angulon is good but has little room for movements and early ones are a bit hit and miss, SN higher than 5,000,0000 are usually all OK. Mine's excellent very small and light, I have an earlier pre-WWII version as well but haven't tested it yet. There's also the 90mm f6.8 WA Raptar again small and light. These really need to be used at f22 for the best results.

Ian

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  9. OP
    OP
    fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the tips. I am monitoring the big auction site.

Also, there's a guy I know that's selling a Super Angulon 90mm f/5.6 here in Brazil, in a Copal 0 electronic shutter.

He's asking $312, which would be a good price, considering I can drive there and get it — no fears of junk mail, no exorbitant shipping fees, no wait and no customs fees or taxes! Except that the front element is fugly (see attached images)! :sad:

IMG_4456.JPG IMG_4455.JPG IMG_4454.JPG

The board is not included, but an extra battery is.

I don't think it will affect image quality. I was even considering polishing the coating off, but heard it wouldn't perform much (if any) better than the way it is.

I like mechanical stuff way batter than electronics... What do you guys think about this shutter?

Cheers,
    Flavio

10. OP
    OP
    fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No problem. Small mistakes happen to anyone!

11. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be wary of electronic shutters... repairs may not be possible... batteries may not be available (I don't know).

That price for a damaged 90mm Super Angulon seems high to me, especially one mounted in the unpopular electric shutter.

My suggestion is to keep looking for a lens in better condition.

12. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That price is average (but not on the low side though) for a pre Multi Coated 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon. It's the rear cell that has the ding on the edge of the rear barrel, I'd want to test it first to make sure it hasn't affected the lens sharpness. I can't tell the condition of the rear glass from the image.

It's not a bargain it's a risk.

Ian

13. Michael Guzzi

Michael Guzzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    A tip that saved me money Flavio: This lens is also available under the name Caltar II-N, custom ordered for Calumet. I got one off Ebay in January, in a Copal shutter recently CLA'd, both lens caps and pristine glass, for $185 shipped.

The Caltar branded lenses seem to consistently go for less than the same optics branded as Rodenstock, Schneider, et al.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. OP
    OP
    fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks @Ian Grant and @Old-N-Feeble!

You guys are really eagle-eyed! I didn't catch that ding (an euphemism, IMO), but now it screams every time I look at it. Wow.

I also didn't see that the coating damage is on the rear cell, which will definitely affect image quality.

All that, plus the uncommon shutter and I agree with you guys... it would be a bad, bad deal. :wink:

Just to clarify my previous (wrong) assessment of the price: Brazilian customs will charge a 60% fee (yes, you've read it right, we pay 60% tax on imported goods) on the sum of the product and shipping cost. So, if I pay $200 for the lens and, say, $35 for shipping (Priority Mail, 3 lbs. package, with insurance), I would pay $141 in taxes. Grand total: $376. If the lens was good, it would definitely be a bargain.

Thanks again and I'll keep looking!

Cheers,
    Flavio

16. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Damn... that's HIGH tax rate. :sad:

17. OP
    OP
    fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congrats on the sweet deal. My 150mm is a Caltar II-N, bought here on APUG from Jon Shiu, a very nice guy to deal with. I can attest the lens quality.

Cheers,
    Flavio

18. OP
    OP
    fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Leigh. I had not seen your post until now.

I believe anything made by Fuji, Nikkor, Rodenstock and Schneider is, at least, good enough for mostly anyone. :wink:

Cheers,
    Flavio

19. Michael Guzzi

Michael Guzzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's not high... for my FE-2 which I paid 82 bucks for, I declared it correctly, but put film camera in the invoice. The customs guys thought it was a MOVIE camera and said "nah, this must cost at least 250 dollars..." and taxed me accordingly, TOGETHER WITH A FINE OF 100%.

20. OP
    OP
    fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Did you file a complaint? I had many packages opened by customs. Any moron would open the box and see it was a photo camera. This is just outrageous.

21. Michael Guzzi

Michael Guzzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Of course. I filed two actually, and they did not budge on the value but took the fine away. Ya gotta take what ya can

22. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow... some government agencies are tyrannical. :sad:

23. OP
    OP
    fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At least you got something. I still feel bad for you, though. I mean, I feel bad for both of us, since we live in the same country.

24. OP
    OP
    fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am still hunting for that 90mm... The big auction site has some good stuff in Japan for kind of a good price, but I would like to try you guys again.

My target is $225 to $250.

25. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a very nice 90mm f/4.5 Nikkor-SW but I can't sell it for that price. I have the correct Heliopan center filter for it too.

26. OP
    OP
    fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Old-N-Feeble! You're right. I can't find a f/4.5 for less than $300, and I am not talking about very nice ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.