8x10 processing system, Kickstarter Preview

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by tim48v, Dec 17, 2018.

1. tim48v

tim48v Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  2. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad to see it coming to light!

Cheers,
    Jason

3. OP
    OP
    tim48v

tim48v Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  4. Two23

Two23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is genius! I shoot multi-formats--4x5, 5x7, film and plates. I'm looking at getting into 8x10 in the next couple of years. A simple do-all would be great! The idea of making custom film holders for obscure formats is also genius! Odd are I would buy one of these. I just received an SP-445 a few days ago and am trying to figure out how much chemical to mix up to process FP4. The processing part with the tank looks to be the simple part.

Kent in SD

5. OP
    OP
    tim48v

tim48v Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You'll need 475ml of whatever chemistry you're using.

Tim

6. Two23

Two23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    HC 110, Photographer's Formulary tf4. Have not done processing before and am trying to figure out what all to mix up etc. I put a request in on the LF Photography Forum for info.

Kent in SD

7. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
  8. Jarin Blaschke

Jarin Blaschke Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As an 8x10 shooter, I’m happy to see this. For film I have to spend a lot of time blacking out a room, and then restoring it after.

What might stop me from buying your system is that 8x10 film in a 8x10 tray causes overdevelopment along the edges. I also use pyro, which may or may not make it worse. I have to use an 11x14 tray (and 2 liters!) to avoid this. Is there space around the 8x10 sheet in your system? If so, how much?

I also presume that it only takes one sheet at a time. Has there been any thought or experimentation with two sheets at a time? I imagine uneven development is quite possible, but thought I’d ask.

Jarin

9. otto.f

otto.f Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good luck with this! I do hope it gets off the ground!

11. OP
    OP
    tim48v

tim48v Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  12. OP
    OP
    tim48v

tim48v Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Jarin,
    We're not sure tray size is the culprit. I know numerous professionals that process 8x10 in an 8x10 trays. I think agitation is the key. That said, most people use trays much larger than the film size.

The current prototype is about 15 mm wider and longer than the film. We're getting excellent results with about 1100 ml of solution. Oh, that's for TWO sheets at the same time. We haven't tried Pyro yet.

We're still working out the details. Hopefully have more info for everyone right after Christmas.

Sign up for our newsletter here: https://shop.stearmanpress.com/collections/photography

Regards,

Tim

13. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not sure I'd ever buy one because I only want daylight ability for color and since I don't do larger than 4x5 in color I wouldnt need one....I suppose it will have multisheet for 4x5 but if thats all I'd be doing I'd get the 445 if I felt the need to upgrade from my current tank...kind kicking myself for not getting one of those during the kickstart phase. So if I ever did want one of these I would definitely want multi-sheet capability for 8x10. Possibly a useless non-data point for ya.

14. Jarin Blaschke

Jarin Blaschke Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hm. Maybe it’s because with pyrogallol, you’re using constant agitation. I lift each side of the tray in succession, working ‘round the tray like a clock, over and over, until the development time is through. Maybe greater frequency of agitation is why overdeveloped edges are amplified.

J

15. otto.f

otto.f Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well if you’re irritated because there’s competition in life, I’m sorry for you. This is an open forum and not a Stearman site.
    Artifex may be more expensive but still cheaper than the JOBO stuff. It’s much more sturdy than the large version of the SP445 and it can process 6 sheets at a time. That could make a higher price acceptable for me. I’m really satisfied with the SP-445 but your solution for 8x10 does not convince me yet: one sheet at a time is a tiny surplusvalue above open tray development. The possibility of a second sheet remained vague in the video. But I will certainly follow your developments. I’d say: profit from my feedback, the people that don’t give feedback but won’t buy it are a bigger problem for you I guess.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  16. bascom49

bascom49 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In terms of simplicity in processing one sheet at a time, three 8x10 trays side by side, catching up on my podcasts in the dark is hard to beat. Agitation is simple, I lift the front edge, side edge, back edge, other side edge each 30 seconds. Move right to stop for 30 seconds, move right to fixer, same agitation, still in the dark, turn the lights on and wash. You don’t even need to have water available where you process.

I’m skeptical of easily managing an 8x10 film back along with this tray and the palette in a dark bag. Mine is not large enough. If I have to build a cardboard darkroom as shown on the Stearman Press blog, I’d rather lay out three trays in the bathroom than find storage space for the ‘darkroom’. If I have to find a light tight room or closet, than I may as well, again, use trays.

At two sheets I’m interested but undecided. At one, not interested.

17. OP
    OP
    tim48v

tim48v Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  18. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds good. Looking forward to this going live.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.