35mm 3.5 Summaron issues

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by monkowa, Feb 16, 2018.

1. monkowa

monkowa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey y'all. I recently purchased a 35mm Summaron 3.5 LTM. It has a couple of issues. The first is that the focusing knob gets caught on the frame lever of my m4, so I can't focus past that point without unmounting the lens and readjusting the focusing lever.
    This point is kind of moot because the second issue is that it only focuses to about 6 feet anyway. The focus ring in the lens that engages with the rangefinder on the camera seems to be too short to maintain contact with the focusing mechanism. Any of you hear of this and have any suggestions? The only thing I can think of on my end is that I'm using an off-brand ltm to M adapter. I'd like to solve these issues because this lens has immaculate glass and the first roll that I've shot looks amazing.

Throughout all the research I've done online I've found very little answers to this particular problems(s). Most answers seem to focus on the lens being a "goggled" version. Unless Leica made a screw mount version of a goggled 35mm I'm pretty sure this isn't the issue.

2. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  3. OP
    OP
    monkowa

monkowa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    After tinkering with my camera some more I've come to the conclusion that it is the adapter. I just received the other, 35mm coupled adapter from Fotodiox and it's even worse. It wont mount correctly and the focusing knob is completely immobilized. Looks like I'll either have to spring for a Leitz adapter or sell the lens and get an m-mount.Total pain in the ass.

4. blockend

blockend Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I never had any luck adapting LTM to M. Light leaks and a floppy frame lever on two different adapters. Seen some nice work from the 3.5 Summaron, I'd be tempted to buy a camera it'll fit. Maybe a Bessa L and a donor finder from a P&S?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  5. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hmmm, I also have an LTM 35mm f3.5 Summaron that I mount without problems on my M2 and M5, no issues and accurate focusing. I got some adapters from heavystar on ebay that had focus lever clearance problems, I also have the Fotodiox adapters that while stiff to fit at first, they wore in (a little Scotchbrite helped) and now work fine with no clearance issues. Some adapters have "clocking" issues that put the focusing lever in the wrong spot. Voigtlander adapters are well regarded, I have read good things about the Rayqual (cameraquest.com). BrianVS on this forum has done some research covering LTM to M adapters that may be helpful. I ended up with some clean genuine Leica adapters in the end ($75 ea on eBay). If you like your Summaron it might be worth investing a little in the better adapters out there.

6. mdarnton

mdarnton Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have used LTM>M adapters for years, buying as many of my lenses as possible in LTM so they fit all my cameras, with no problems. Except for one, where my M4s hang up on the focus lever at one point, like yours. It's not an adapter problem; it's a lens problem.

However, this business of the cam stopping at 6' makes me wonder . . . . does your lens have a large flat spot on the top of the barrel?

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you sure there are issues with the lens? Does it work OK on a screw mount camera for which it was designed?

8. OP
    OP
    monkowa

monkowa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Update! it's definitely not a lens problem, its the adapter. What I ultimately ended up doing was taking the locking mechanism off of the focus tab and that solved everything. Don't worry, I used the correct tools and I have the knob in a safe place. It gives total clearance now and focus all the way to the minimum focusing distance but only with this 35mm/135mm adapter. There are slight variations with the 50mm adapter that gave the lens a tiny bit more clearance but kept it from focusing closer than 6 ft. Subtle, but it made all the difference apparently.

Would that be for the goggled 35mm? It's a pre-goggled, screw-mount lens so it doesn't.

9. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While I don't have any screw mount lenses to mount on my "M" cameras any more, when I did have some, I bought the correct Leica adapters for each focal length and never, ever had any problems. Each adapter had the focal length lens they were made for and they did differ and I don't think you could wear them out Folks, put Leica stuff on Leica stuff and save time and probably money in the long run. Sold all my adapters when I sold the lenses. I have an "M" mount 35mm, f:3.5 Summaron now. Nice lens.......Regards!

10. OP
    OP
    monkowa

monkowa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This seems to be the correct action overall. Those little Leitz adapters are really hard to come by though. When one comes up for sale I'm going to snatch it up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.