Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoff mountfield
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
Multi Format
One of my early shots from 1971. Diner in downtown L.A. Food was crazy cheap back then.

72-img206-print-v5-5-5-0-mr.jpg

Vaughn

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Great image! In 1972 I was on a college basketball team. When we traveled we had a budget of $2 per meal. Generally one could eat well, though any kind of soft drink, etc could put one over the limit.

Colin Corneau

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
Very classic image. What strikes me is how perfect the lighting is. I know it's likely just ambient but it just looks perfect. Very nice documentary image.

Vaughn

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Very classic image. What strikes me is how perfect the lighting is. I know it's likely just ambient but it just looks perfect. Very nice documentary image.
Slacker will have to confirm it, but it looks like well-used flash to me (bounced off the ceiling?) But I have been wrong before and most likely will continue the trend...

miha

Shooter
Multi Format
Ashtrays all around :smile:

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

miha

Shooter
Multi Format
Some changes are definitely for the better!
Indeed. We banned smoking in all public places in 2007. Sadly some countries within the EU still allow exceptions to this rule.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
Back in the days when only a 'photographer' could get an image like that. One had to know the equipment, right lens, probably guess at exposure with powerful bounce flash. Or if that is available light it was probably even more challenging.

sissysphoto

Shooter
Traditional
Indeed. We banned smoking in all public places in 2007. Sadly some countries within the EU still allow exceptions to this rule.
If I'm not mistaken, a grill is not a public place. It's privately owned. I love the photo. It has character. Made before the ban-everything crowd got their hands on everything they had no authority to. Thanks for posting it.

miha

Shooter
Multi Format
Public in a sense that everyone is allowed to enter.

Trask

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
Great photograph! It has tone and grit — lovely. I’d love to know what film and developer was used. And I wonder what that “SOS + biscuits 95 cents” is.

Shooter
35mm
"SOS" is military slang for S--t on a Shingle, otherwise known as creamed chipped beef on toast.
One of those dishes you either loved or hated.

Vaughn

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
One on-line inflation calculator has $1 in 1971 equalling $6.33 today.
In 1971 I was getting around 'minimum wage' as a department stockboy (I was in highschool) -- probably $1.35 an hour.

edited to add -- I looked up the historic minumum wage rates for CA and it was $1.65 in 1971. After taxes and deductions, I would get an envelope with my pay (in cash) figured to the minute by the punchclock -- worked out to just over a dollar an hour take-home.

Last edited:
  • Vaughn
  • Vaughn
  • Deleted
  • Reason: dupe

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
Great photograph! It has tone and grit — lovely. ...

Tone and grit, yes.. A wonderful photo of times past.

Thank you for sharing it.

OP
OP
slackercrurster
Shooter
Multi Format
Great image! In 1972 I was on a college basketball team. When we traveled we had a budget of $2 per meal. Generally one could eat well, though any kind of soft drink, etc could put one over the limit.

I did similar in later 70's We got $3 a day. One guy used to buy a loaf of bread and peanut butter. That was all he ate. He made a profit!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom