Exposure
30 sec
Film & Developer
TMax400, D-76 1:1
Paper & Developer
expired Forte Fortezo. Moersch SE5 Lith 1+1+25
Hybrid Materials & Processing
Scan of print
I grant PHOTRIO permission to share this gallery image and previous images on their social media pages.
  1. Yes
Is this print for sale?
  1. Yes
This is a very intriguing image. The composition and the ambience of the fog are very interesting to begin with, and then the granular quality of the image really moves it into a whole other dimension. It begins to resemble something done on copper plate. I wonder, is the grain, the result of using an old expired film, or is it something that was created or enhanced by the Lith printing?

This is a very intriguing image. The composition and the ambience of the fog are very interesting to begin with, and then the granular quality of the image really moves it into a whole other dimension. It begins to resemble something done on copper plate. I wonder, is the grain, the result of using an old expired film, or is it something that was created or enhanced by the Lith printing?
Thank You! As a standard silver print, this had lots of nice smooth tones, fine grain and transitions in the fog. I first printed it a few years back, but was wanting something more dramatic, I guess. The film was fresh and the exposures were more than adequate, given these were taken at night. The grain in this print occurs during infectious development in the Lith as the shadow areas begins to clump. I overexposed the print by 3 stops and it took about 6 mins for the image to start to appear in the developer. After that it's a matter of watching the image closely and snatching it out of the developer before the shadows completely block up and dark clumps occur in the mid tones. I wanted to keep a hint of detail in the tree trunks and in the grass, but had to dodge the grass near the bottom of the trees to retain any detail there. It took about ten prints before I was satisfied with this one. The developer exhausts quickly and there's some "hit and miss" with this process. Very exciting when it works though!

Well, you nailed it. Certainly put in a lot of effort, that's always nice to see, people taking their work, so seriously. I've never worked with lith development, but I've worked with litho-films and lith developer, on a job I had. Also, in those days there was lith paper. Normally that paper was used to get high contrast from low contrast negative and from high resolution films. But I did play around a little bit with the paper. It's very interesting. if one pust it in standard paper developer it yielded very warm, brown tones, a lot of contrast.

Media information

Category
Standard Gallery
Added by
jimjm
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename
2024_Trees and Fog_sm.jpg
File size
260 KB
Date taken
Sat, 10 February 2024 2:44 PM
Dimensions
900px x 922px

Share this media

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom